PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Horror Movie

E.F. Benson
05-24-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm going with "Scream". Other then having two killers, it was just another teenage slasher flick.

joker jr.
05-25-2007, 08:28 AM
agreed. lol

all I can think of is an underrated movie called death valley.

E.F. Benson
05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
agreed. lol

all I can think of is an underrated movie called death valley.

I've never heard of "Death Valley". I'll have to look into it. As far as underrated, I'll say "The Changeling".

mr.sasquatch
05-26-2007, 06:03 AM
The Changeling is definitly underrated. I owe alot of sleepless nights from my childhood to that movie. Too bad they cant make movies that scary anymore.

As for overrated, I think I'll vote for "The Grudge". Oh no...another creepy Asian kid and some black smoke. Yeah, thats original and terrifying. Yawn.

joker jr.
05-26-2007, 07:42 AM
The Changeling is definitly underrated. I owe alot of sleepless nights from my childhood to that movie. Too bad they cant make movies that scary anymore.

As for overrated, I think I'll vote for "The Grudge". Oh no...another creepy Asian kid and some black smoke. Yeah, thats original and terrifying. Yawn.

lol, that movie sucked in general. I'd say another overrated movie would be the remake of TTCM. and as for underrated asian movies, one missed call. that movie was cheap but really good. lol

reagan
05-26-2007, 06:59 PM
and as for underrated asian movies, one missed call. that movie was cheap but really good. lol
I've seen that. Apart from the arm at the beginning and the ghost moving in a cell phone pic bit, it was pretty mundane

irish and proud
05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
the ring 2 is the most over rated movie and its really really crap aswell

joker jr.
05-29-2007, 06:52 PM

just how bad was it? and also I didn't even see a need for the ring two, I mean they released the girl's spirit or whatever so, wouldn't that pretty much be the end of that hole story? lol of course there's always someway to make a sequel.

E.F. Benson
05-29-2007, 08:50 PM

Do you know anyone who actually liked that movie?

I agree it's crap, but I wouldn't call it overrated because I don't know anyone who liked it.

E.F. Benson
05-29-2007, 08:59 PM
just how bad was it? and also I didn't even see a need for the ring two, I mean they released the girl's spirit or whatever so, wouldn't that pretty much be the end of that hole story? lol of course there's always someway to make a sequel.

I am a big fan of the original "Halloween", and after "Halloween 2", (which should have been the ending), I didn't watch any sequels until H20 came along. I only watched that because Jaime Lee Curtis returned to make it. Well anyway, as many know Michael Myers had his head chopped off at the end. I thought well there's NO WAY there could be any sequels after that. Wrong! If someone thinks they can make money, there will be sequels.

raym
06-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I know What you Did Last Summer.

Trust me, a lot of people still LOVE this film.

=P

Chishio
08-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I'd say the movie snuff was VERY overrated. All those rumors about the CRAP on there being for real! I watched it, the blood was SOOOO red and unnatural looking! I looked like red paint. So trust me, DO NOT BUY IT! I have no idea why this film was rated X!

Chainsawjack
08-02-2007, 02:09 PM
The american version of the Grudge was just awefull, it makes my soul cry tears of blood

scaryforkids
08-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Wes Craven's Scream movies. They just aren't that scary or funny. And people say they reinvented the horror genre, but ..... all they did was give birth to a succession of bad straight-to-dvd teen horrors.

joker jr.
08-24-2007, 09:35 AM
well, this ain't a horror movie, but I just wanted to through this in here..."Hulk" as for movies in general, that had to be one of the MOST overated, they ran ads over and over, and the ads of course showed the whole time it was just the hulk, but the actual movie sucked donkey balls. the actors were terrible, this one chick did nothing but cry through the whole thing, and the few parts that they did show the hulk were VERY short.

anyway, back to horror movies...well, there was one I was thinking of, but now I lost it. >_<

HawksHillHaunter
08-25-2007, 06:41 PM
i could be the only one with this opinion by as for overrated horror flicks - "Chucky". And all the following chucky films. Those movies, to me, were so unbelievably dumb...i think i lost brain cells watching it!

Distantdaze
08-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Over-rated...could you have ask a question a little less vague...too many too mention. We live in a day and age where the shock value of "Dawn of the Dead"(the original) or "The Exorcist"...is nothing more than a dated movie.
I love the originals...unfortunately teen interest has guided our movies fare to...well...hambuger vs. a really good T-Bone.

joker jr.
08-26-2007, 03:31 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this but..friday the 13th after the 3rd movie.
the first, second, and third movies were good, but then they just did the same thing over and over again. 8 times. then they did the zombie thing at 9, then the tenth one was a sci-fi.

dead letters
09-20-2007, 04:49 AM
I would have to say The Ring, as I quite enjoyed The Grudge lol. The original, rather than the updated version, though.

Poison
09-20-2007, 03:13 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but..friday the 13th after the 3rd movie.
the first, second, and third movies were good, but then they just did the same thing over and over again. 8 times. then they did the zombie thing at 9, then the tenth one was a sci-fi.

I like the Friday the 13th films, apart from the last two. Jason goes to hell was unbelievably stupid. As for Jason X, they've run out of ideas when they set them in space. In my opinion, those two films should never have been made.

I agree that the Scream movies are overrated. I also think Hostel is overrated.

reagan
09-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I recently got round to seeing Hostel - Afterwards I was "Where were the disturbing parts?!?" Sure it was gross in parts. Maybe I'd just heard/read too much about it and this 'gorno' momement beforehand.

Poison
09-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, before I saw it people were making it out to be this awesomely horrifying movie. That's partly my disappointment with it but in general I think it could have been alot better.

Mister_Creazil
10-30-2007, 06:50 AM
The most overrated horror movie for me is The Village. I didn't like the movie at all, yet so many people around here like it. Hmmmmm, underrated movie... a film called 'Cherry Falls'

E.F. Benson
02-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I think Stephen Sommer's "The Mummy" was overrated. Great special effects, but all action, no real suspense, and Brandon Frazier is no Indiana Jones.

Horrorman
02-24-2008, 03:28 PM
My vote for most overrated and worst I have seen for modern movies would be------The Blair Witch Project. I absolutely hated this movie. It was the most unscariest, badly acted, under produced movie I seen for a modern movie. I found out later it was made for like 25,000 bucks and in my opinion it looked more like 25 bucks. It looked like some people got together, found a camera, went to the woods and filmed the trees at night. OOOOOOOO that was scary.:)

Double L
02-26-2008, 04:06 AM
Most overrated film i can think of at the moment is Slither.

One of the most underrated i think is Uzumaki, When you mention asian horror, everyone thinks of Ringu & Ju-On, but this is even more unsettling and there isn't a long haired ghost in sight.

Bataeu
03-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Personally I thought The Blair Witch Project was over-hyped. Just a bunch of teenagers running around in the woods hearing twigs snap. Yay. -_-

mellowschocolatebar
03-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Hmm... overrated.... let me get a good one...
Saw comes to mind.

Nothing bad about those movies though, just overrated.

duckula666
03-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Always thought the Nightmare on Elm Street movies were a bit crappy. Same goes for Candyman. And, dare I say it, Hellraiser?? They all just seem really dated to me.

Red Hot
03-16-2008, 06:29 AM
I agree with HorrorMan - the Blair Witch Project for sure was the most overrated movie of all time.

I see we have newbie blood on here! Welcome duckula666 and mellowschocolate bar!

duckula666
03-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks Red.

As for Blair Witch Project... have to admit i found it terrifying!

Thought it was really atmospheric and figured that sometimes its the things you don't see that can be the most scary.

Blair Witch 2 on the other hand...

ItalianBiz
03-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I thought Saw was a great movie, one of the best that came out in recent years.

These dumb little PG-13 movies are all over rated (ring, grudge, etc...) All that these so called horror movies do are make loud unexpected noises that scare the audience. That's not what I call horror.

joker jr.
03-16-2008, 02:44 PM
The American versions of those movies, yes, were utter sh**. The original versions, the Japanese versions, were much better.

krell
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I think Romero's Dawn of the dead is overrated.Not that I dont like the movie but when people call it one of the all time greats I have to disagree.It drags through some scenes and could have benefitted from a shorter running time.

Goat Face
04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Underrated movies:
1. Hatchet
2. Land of the dead
3. Day of the Dead
4.28 Days Later/ John Carpenter's The Thing as well, oops
Overrated:
1. Army of Darkness(Every horror fan loves it. Why?)
2. Hostel(Bravos no.1 horror movie of all time!!!!)
3. Scream definitely is overrated.
4. SCARY MOVIE SUCKS!!!!
5. Friday the 13 part one
6. Freddy vs. Jason
7. halloween(old ones, not scary, especially Mike Meyers)

Goat Face
04-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I think Romero's Dawn of the dead is overrated.Not that I dont like the movie but when people call it one of the all time greats I have to disagree.It drags through some scenes and could have benefitted from a shorter running time. What!!! How could you not like the dawn. It is my favorite movie most likely. At least my favorite horror movies. It provided some of the best gore scenes ever. I like the part where the gang guy gets his arms ripped off after trying to get his pressure checked. I always get that theme song stuck in my head whenever they try to get across the mall to lock it up. I think the new Dawn of the Dead is ovverrated. Not enough zombie action (WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT MR. ZACH SNYDER!!!!).:(

Goat Face
04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I forgot the new Dawn of the Dead in my list. That movie was boring. They should have had this huge scen where they fight across town and run into some military peeps. It really would have been great. There simply was not enough zombie action or gore for someone like me. George Romero did not even like it, he said that the zombies had joined some sort of gym, I agree.

TheReaper1545
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Blair Witch Project is absolutley the most boring and overrated movie in general, not even in the Horror realm. It has a close second in boringness, a movie called "Signs."

DeeHart
04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
the most overrated movie of all time was the grudge 1 & 2
and the blair witch projec 1 & 2 . and the ring

E.F. Benson
04-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks Red.

As for Blair Witch Project... have to admit i found it terrifying!

Thought it was really atmospheric and figured that sometimes its the things you don't see that can be the most scary.

Blair Witch 2 on the other hand...

I think this is easily the most picked on movie, because it's so different, and not a typical Hollywood horror movie, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think it was a good psychological horror movie, and I agree with you that sometimes the scariest things are what you don't see.

Malachai
04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
What!!! How could you not like the dawn. It is my favorite movie most likely. At least my favorite horror movies. It provided some of the best gore scenes ever. I like the part where the gang guy gets his arms ripped off after trying to get his pressure checked. I always get that theme song stuck in my head whenever they try to get across the mall to lock it up. I think the new Dawn of the Dead is ovverrated. Not enough zombie action (WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT MR. ZACH SNYDER!!!!).:(

I liked Snyder's Dawn movie. I'll give you it had some negative points to it. Not enough zombie action, the actors were better marksmen then they should have been etc. I thought it had fairly decent character development, the effects and gore was sufficient and fast zomibes (I'm sorry) are so much more frightening then slow ones; overall I liked it and for a re-make it wasn't bad. And while I love Romero's "Night, Dawn and Day" movies I thought Land of the Dead was pretty awful and has anyone seen "Monkey Shines"? Yeah...just horrible. I'm not very confident in some of Romero's movies, let alone his criticism of others.

As for overrated movies? Phantasm comes to mind. Perhaps it was good for its day but now its just long and boring. I like some parts. The flying drill ball, the finger in the box. Those are cool but overall the movie is pretty dull and there is nothing scary about the tall man.
Hostel is also overrated. I liked it but it didn't like up to the hype that it generated. The second Hostel is better but so far Eli Roth's best movie IMO is still Cabin Fever.

Slasher-Freak97
04-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Would have to be the Exorcist, i mean the flick wasnt that dam good shi*, I also think Rob Zombie halloween is way overrated, & i think the Ring (2002) is very much overrated flick wasnt that dam good Nor scary either)

Malachai
04-30-2008, 05:27 PM
I liked The Ring as a movie in general but not really as a horror movie. Didn't really like the Halloween remake either. I forgot to mention, The Amityville Horror. That one is greatly overrated. As is most of Wes Craven's work.

Freddy's Fake Head
05-02-2008, 02:00 AM
lol, that movie sucked in general. I'd say another overrated movie would be the remake of TTCM.

Oh god yes the plot was bullsh*t, they expanded too much on what was essentially a great plot in the first place, that was the same thing that messed the new black christmas up. And the whole ending I can't even watch with the girl running in like the typical hero and rescuing the kid then miraculously getting away in a car, gimme a break. I liked The Beginning though Ironically, it was very entertaining and it's funny to see the cop just leave his big ole' shot gun sitting on his dashboard when he walks out of his car and gets shot in the back. :D

TheReaper1545
05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Yea Phantasm is definitely up there for one of the most overrated horror movies...it didnt do much for me.

Freddy's Fake Head
05-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Yea Phantasm is definitely up there for one of the most overrated horror movies...it didnt do much for me.

Yeah I agree Phantasm I is overrated but I love the other 3. The ending to IV was awesome and I hope they make a V before the Tall Man gets too old.

E.F. Benson
05-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Would have to be the Exorcist, i mean the flick wasnt that dam good shi*, I also think Rob Zombie halloween is way overrated, & i think the Ring (2002) is very much overrated flick wasnt that dam good Nor scary either)

You mentioned "The Exorcist" in the same sentence as Rob Zombie's "Halloween"? :eek:

TheWizardOfGore
12-05-2009, 03:25 PM
1. The Descent

2. Rob Zombie's Halloween

3. Funhouse

Randy
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I'd have to agree with The Descent. It made so many "best horror movie of the year" lists that you'd think it was the second coming of The Wicker Man, but it was, at best, an average horror film. (And an argument could easily be made that it wasn't even average.)

Plenty of people had bad stuff to say about Rob Zombie's Halloween, which I agree was awful, so I don't really think of it as overrated. (In spite of its commercial success.)

snuff hunter
12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
i would say

28 days later
28 weeks later
halloween 1 and 2 (rob 'the asshole zombie remakes)
scream
saw 3,4,5, (not gory)
hostel 1 and 2 (not gory)
blair witch 1 and 2 (so boring i keep falling asleep when its on)
house of a 1000 bores
dawn of the dead (remake)
and any other remakes that have been released in the past 5 years

DorianDawes
02-13-2010, 06:24 AM
The original Night of the Living Dead. The female protagonist is an idiot bimbo who can do nothing but shriek over and over, it's poorly-shot, poorly-written, and poorly-lit. A lot of people credit the film with being the invention of the zombie genre, but obviously they've never seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

I think the most entertaining moment in the entire film is, "They're coming to get you, Barbra."

That scene is hilarious, "You're ignorant!"

After that, the movie becomes a complete sleeper. I am slightly amused that a film like Carnival of Souls, that came out in the same era can be so underrated, and that a crap-film like NOTLD can become such an incredibly lauded film.

juniordriftwood
02-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Rosemarys Baby with Mia Farrow and John Cassavetes,I was mindnumbingly boring for a least half the movie,Roman Polanski is a superb director and does his best here but Mia Farrow just gives an annoying,pathetic,and totally unconvincing performance however Cassavetes does great work here and uplifts this overrated barely no scares at all snooze fest.The ending of this is what is truly great about this move it does finally end.

OoOo101112
02-24-2010, 02:52 AM
im not sure, id say that jason vs freddy (or freddy vs jason) was underrated. it really showd the difference between the 2 cherecters

TheWizardOfGore
02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Rosemarys Baby with Mia Farrow and John Cassavetes,I was mindnumbingly boring for a least half the movie,Roman Polanski is a superb director and does his best here but Mia Farrow just gives an annoying,pathetic,and totally unconvincing performance however Cassavetes does great work here and uplifts this overrated barely no scares at all snooze fest.The ending of this is what is truly great about this move it does finally end.

Yeah, something about Mia Farrow made me want to slap her. I'm amazed that she landed Sinatra.

reagan
02-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Yeah, something about Mia Farrow made me want to slap her. I'm amazed that she landed Sinatra.

"Don't eat the mousse if it tastes chalky"

Sequel on the other hand is a load of s*** :rolleyes:

alphaomega9997
02-25-2010, 05:43 PM
My list of Overrated Horror Movies (I will add More if I Think of More).

1. "Blair Witch Project 1".

2. "Scream Franchise".

3. "I Know What You Did Last Summer Franchise".

reagan
02-26-2010, 02:51 AM
oh,thank you :) Scream was a HUGH disappointment for me. But it seems everyone else adores it :(

Greg
02-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Wow, really? I thought the first Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer were some good films.

I want your skulls
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
The "I know what you did last summer" films are a waste of time.
I reckoned "Below" was a pretty good film.

the remake of "the hills have eyes" sucked hardcore also.

TheWizardOfGore
03-10-2010, 08:18 PM
The "I know what you did last summer" films are a waste of time.
I reckoned "Below" was a pretty good film.

the remake of "the hills have eyes" sucked hardcore also.

I didn't completely hate "I Know What You Did Last Summer," although it was certainly overrated. The killer was one of the weaker in the slasher genre.

The series really went downhill fast, and the third one was just awful.

Greg
03-21-2010, 03:55 AM
The Hills Have Eyes remake was awesome to me.

TheWizardOfGore
03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
The Hills Have Eyes remake was awesome to me.

It seemed to follow the original pretty closely.

MrVoodoo
04-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Paranormal Activity.

The part where the girl was dragged down the hall by her leg was kind of freaky, but the rest of the movie was pretty dull.