PDA

View Full Version : A Warning to Horror Movie Fans.

Nihilistic Weasel
07-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I fancy myself one of those "seen it all" types when it comes to my horror and slasher flicks that I watch. I fancy myself pretty jaded and even the most grotesque and realistic scenes of macabre depravity bring me to smile, after all that's why I watch these flicks.

....however....

I was not smiling during Cannibal Holocaust....

I will say I was smiling then and I smile upon recollection....

I give it aperfect 10 on the horror meter...

This movie f'ing horrified me. And changed how I will be horrified in the future

It takes place in the the jungles of South America, the Green Inferno, as it's called. It follws a doctor who comes in search of some American Film makers who went to document the cannibal tribes living there, what he finds is a primal place where death is inches away, a land of savage rituals and jungle law, and recovers the video left behind by the ill fated expedition.

What follows is something more terrifyingly real then the Blair Witch Project could EVER have hoped to be. As you watch the rest of the story on raw footage, giving that gut feeling realness

Released in Italy in the 1970s the filmakers were actually arrested after the movie played because the imagery was thought to be real mutilations and executions of people. This movie...I cannot exaggerate when I say it goes all the way. I can't believe I didn't see it earlier, as the hair styles are very true to it's time.

I offer this as a warning, if you are a casual horror movie watcher, this movie will assail your sense of integrity. For the more seasoned, it is has set me a new standard in realistic gore. It never flinches it pulls no punches. It spits blood and viscera with no shame right into your face. If you've seen it, then you know exactly what I mean.

In fact, if you think I am exaggerating how nauseating this movie may be for you, every single animal that is killed, and there are a few, every animal that is killed is really REALLY killed on the screen.

It's been banned in a number of countries, but you can find, I just got a copy for twenty bucks at Warehouse.

I would post a link to the site, but even that contains horrific scenes of nudity and gore, so kids, ask your parents, or wait till they go to bed.

I just wish I had a picture of the spellbound look I had on my face the first time through.

Chishio
07-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Do babies die in it? If they do I will not want to see this movie! That's the only thing that I probably wouldn't be able to handle in a movie. Even though it's just a movie.

Chishio
07-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Oh, wait nevermind, I found out about the abortion scene.

Chishio
07-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Oh wait! Nevermind that too! It was an alligator, right? Sorry for triple posting but I can't find the edit button lol!

Nihilistic Weasel
07-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh no... it's human...

Like I said, something for everyone....

Chishio
07-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Nope, don't wanna see it 0_0 The monkey scene sounds unbearable too...

Nihilistic Weasel
07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah... like said, not for the faint of heart, or the casual horror movie watcher...

Gritty, savage and disturbing...

mr.sasquatch
07-06-2006, 07:42 AM
I just got my copy of it and plan on watching it tonight...hopefully.

Chishio
07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I do kinda wanna watch it, though I know the horrible images will be popping into my head for a very long time. I just wish there was a place I could just rent it. I don't want to buy it.

Nihilistic Weasel
07-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Oh I'm sure you'll enjoy Mr.S.

Give us an update when you do watch it, lemme know if it really is that gritty or if I'm over-reacting *lol*

And yeah Chishio, I wish there was a place to rent it too...but a flick like this, not a chance. I know Blockbuster would burn this movie at their doorstep before they carried it in their stores. Maybe a privatley own video place would have it to rent, but chances are slim.

Da Weiner
07-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi NH - I did hear about this movie. I did look it up and read some of the comments and from what I understand a lot of the film crew that was supposed to be devoured were just actors and have went on to do more movies. I do remember seeing some of the pictures on rotten.com. What I don't understand is this movie a true movie or fiction like Blair Witch.

I think I will have to give this a shot. I did rent all the "Faces of Death" and watch them so I think I will be able to handle this. I'm like the shock effect from these movies.

Nihilistic Weasel
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Yeah it has a very Faces of Death feel to it. I'm quite sure the actors were just fine after, but the grit and brutality definitley blurs my perception, but if you liked the Faces of Death, and I did too, well all except the first one, to many animals being killed I didn't pay to see that, but you'll see what I mean, as they are some of the most convincing death scenes ever towards the end...

mr.sasquatch
07-07-2006, 05:15 AM
Well I finished watching it. Although it was rather boring, the scenes did seem to stand out on their own. And yes, there were definitly animals harmed during the making...or should I say killed. The muskrat was definitly real. It makes you wonder about the people though. Since this was a 70's movie and the blood and body parts were very real looking, I wonder if a few humans did get slaughtered. Im sure they would have no regrets wasting a few natives (like the one that got skewered on the wooden stake...that one definitly looked real). Its worth checking out just to ease your curiousity about it and hear some horrible B-rated horror movie music.

Chishio
07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I read that they used real pig guts. They probably used real blood, too. The director guy said that the girl on the stake leaned against it, and put a stick in her mouth. He said that she was reeeeally good at staying still.

mr.sasquatch
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
She was impaled on it and her feet were dangling in the air. It sure didnt look like she was leaning against it to me.

Nihilistic Weasel
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah they said that she was perched on a bike seat that was affixed to the post....

I don't rember it being boring at all, but my taste and patience for movies is pretty solid.

And that flowery 70s hippy music on the soundtrack was so perfect, when they cut it in in fragments near the end when the explorer chick was getting hers, was pretty morbidly comical. I twas pretty difficult to tell if the death scenes were REALLY fake, I mean when that blonde guy...Rick I think, was getting bludgeoned at the end and his eye subtley pops out of it's socket... no over the top sound effects or unnaturally profuse blood... then when he gets hacked to bits...I'm pretty sure the movie effects of that time weren't that sophisticated, I mean it really looked authentic.

...not that I've ever really seen a person get hacked to death by cannibals, but I've seen a few car accident victims that looked more fake then a few scenes in that movie...

Chishio
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I've seen the picture of the girl on the stake. Nope, it sure doesn't look like she's on a bike seat lol!

Nihilistic Weasel
07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
*lol* Not in the least! I watched the special features and you see the camera crew and all taht stuff, so you know it is just a movie, but they don't go into make up design or anything like that, in fact, after they film one of the characters death scenes, he's not in any of the behind the scenes footage anymore! It only brings more questions to my mind!

gothprincess666
08-18-2006, 06:37 PM
I do kinda wanna watch it, though I know the horrible images will be popping into my head for a very long time. I just wish there was a place I could just rent it. I don't want to buy it.

They have the movie on Netflix...I personally could never watch it...I couldn't deal with the animal deaths.

Nihilistic Weasel
08-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah it's pretty savage.

Especially the turtle...and that cute little monkey...

KyoraSan
08-25-2006, 02:30 PM
This sounds worse then "In the Name of Our Lord."

An amatuer flick by a few friends I saw. All and all about 1000$ was spent on everything.

But DAMN, it was the SCARIEST PEICE OF **** I've ever scene.

Not bloody so much...just...
Gah, I don't even wanna describe it. It was like...

Either way, I'm gonna get this movie. Sounds like it might be good.
Though I may drop out half way threw it because if its as creepy as you say it is, my heart'll stop.

Nihilistic Weasel
08-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Well it's not so much as creepy, like "Oh what's gonna happen next" more like a brutal punch to the stomach... if you stop watching it, like most the poepl I've shown it to, you stop watching because you're disgusted, offended, or both.

bloodystub
08-28-2006, 03:54 PM
what movie?

Nihilistic Weasel
09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Cannibal Holocaust... Read the first post of this thread for a full run-down

Chishio
09-02-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm watching the turtle scene on youtube right now. It's as gruesome as hell though!!!!!! that de-shelled body.......and that head gasping for air.....

Chishio
09-02-2006, 08:40 AM
I've watched the coatimundi scene too. The guy doing the killing is kinda cute :)

Nihilistic Weasel
09-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah those are real animals. And is that a coatimundi? It looks loke a South American Muskrat or possibly a bandicoot...though those are from Australia...

Coffindan
09-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I have this on VHS. It is very disturbing. I have seen it twice and now it just sits on the shelf collecting dust. I used to be really into the Italian cannibal movies but Ive moved on. The only one that I feel is actually any good is Jungle Holocaust, which was filmed by the same director only a few years prior to CH. JH is much more character based and nowhere near as horrifying.

Chishio
09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Everybody says it's a coatimundi but it doesn't look at all like the ones I've seen. Maybe it's a baby. Maybe they look like that. :confused:

Nihilistic Weasel
09-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Maybe. Maybe something can be found on-line....

gothprincess666
09-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I finally watched Cannibal Holocaust and even though the animal deaths were brutal, I was actually able to watch it...I didn't think I was going to be able to.

Nihilistic Weasel
09-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Nice. It is gritty, but congratulations. *lol*

nancylives!
09-21-2011, 11:22 AM
this is one of those movies that i've never really had a desire to see; i think i can learn everything i need to know by reading about it, which is pretty interesting, frankly. ruggero deodato is pretty infamous, and i've read fascinating interviews with folks involved in its' making, but that's good enuf for me. i have no interest watching vertebrates killed for any reason, much less the making of a movie (not that i like seeing invertebrates killed, either, but clearly, hypocrite that i am, i will tolerate it in movies like kingom of the spiders). still, i do often wonder if i should bite the bullet and experience this infamous piece of celluloid, if only so that i can discuss it from an educated stand point. but the image of that woman being impaled is so distasteful, not to mention everything else, i doubt it will come to pass...

myteemouth
09-21-2011, 11:50 AM
:)A personal favorite of mine!:)