PDA

View Full Version : The Hills Have Eyes Remake

hauntmaster
03-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Great freaking movie! I've seen it and it was pretty good!!

Bloody, gory, mutants, cannibals, this movie has it all and a bad ass German Sheperd to boot. This story is of a family driving to California and are directed to a dead end road where they are ambushed and attacked by radiated mutants who are hungry. It's been a while since I've been to a movie where people were cheering in the crowd. This movie will not disappoint.

SEE IT!!!

Chishio
04-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah I've seen that movie twice! I love it. I want to watch the unrated version when it comes out on DVD!

Shadow Master
04-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Oooohhh... movies about canibals can ce pretty interesting. They're creepy, but interesting.

hauntmaster
04-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah... when it comes to DVD... Of course, I love to watch that movie UNRATED and UNCUT, ya know??

Akasoh
05-21-2006, 09:13 AM
yeah, that sounds good. (the movie not previous post) i cant wait to see it. my friends told me its awesome

Jezebel
07-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Have to agree...a great movie.

Nihilistic Weasel
07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
I am there with you, it didn't have much in the way of life lessons of positive morals... *lol*

But it was bloody good and bloody...

super_squeak
08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I actually didn't enjoy that movie. It seemed like it was a mix of movies so it made it hard to sit through.

Sarah

Looney Runes
08-14-2006, 01:44 AM
I loved it.

Nihilistic Weasel
08-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Me too, but I'm fairly easily amused by horror flicks! Savage gore and mutants make a good flick in my book.

nancylives!
10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
i just watched this over the past three nights and i was totally floored by it. i hadn't actually seen the original in over twenty years, but i had been reading some good things about the remake on the forum world, thought i'd give it a whirl. haven't been able to shake it. there were so many things i loved about it, and so many things that disturbed me. it was a very affecting movie for me.

the location shooting was beautiful. aja is a very talented director, and he really maximizes the desert. at times it is beautiful, and at others, you appreciate just how isolated everyone is. the family is given enuf time in the first act to be established, and it is impossible not to care for them. as a father of two, including a three month old, the presence of the baby was very difficult for me, knowning the jeopardy that would ensue. but this is the sort of thing that makes for good drama, good horror, good engagement.

the initial mutant attack on the family is staged in a sort of intense, dream-like way; the sh*t hits the fan before anyone is aware of what is happening, the striking guitar chords grinding in monotonous intervals, while all hell breaks lose, just totally kept me at the edge of my seat. what the family endures and witnesses happening to one another is just heart breaking, and gut wrenching. as is usually the case with wes craven material, families find out a lot about what each is capable of when in duress, and the consequences of what occurs are left to linger with both the characters and the viewer. i was literally shaking, not only with what i saw, but thinking about how the f$#@ are the survivors going to pick themselves back up and move on, much less address the immediate threat?

despite their trauma, the remaining family members pull together in the knowledge that at the very least, they can survive, and more importantly, rescue their baby. each must find something inside of themselves, to access the courage and savagery necessary to meet the mutants head on. they are not only survivors in that the mutants did not kill them, but that they must persevere and face things head on, much as craven has many of his characters do. it is riveting the way they press onward, and pull together.

the mutants are rendered well, although pluto looks kinda like sloth from goonies, which is pretty unnerving considering some of the things he does. but there is creativity in the creation of the mutants for sure, and none are so over the top as to be unbelievable. additionally, their family structure is gently explored, and we see the way the mutants live and work together and depend on one another. they too are doing what they must to survive, although they are depicted as going about their business with a sort of sadistic glee, lest we sympathize with them too much. the movie also makes clear that it is us normals that are to blame, both in our forcing the miners out of the area, and then bombing the sh#t outta the desert with atomic testing.

i also must mention the family dogs, who are as much a part of the family themes as are the people and mutants. the dogs stick up for one another, and feel loss. they, like their human companions, seek to right what has happened, and also to enact vengeance when it is too late for justice.

i also want to add as a side note: i saw this movie on amc, and it features, amongst other things, graphic murders of family members in front of one another, someone being burned alive, a brutal rape scene, cannibalism, a gun being held to the head of a baby, and much more. all of this was readily discernible from what i have to believe was a heavily edited for television movie. and then, when the girl who was horribly raped by mutants kills one of them, her defiant "f#@% you" as she drives a pick axe into his head is edited out. thank you, amc, for making this movie safe for children:rolleyes:. so funny to me that our society still thinks the f word is the worst thing imaginable.

http://www.ize-stuff.com/picture/dvd/horror_pictures/aa-movies/The%20Hills%20Have%20Eyes.jpg

at any rate, i found this movie to be deeply affecting and well done. an excellent example of how good a remake can be...

Waingro
10-21-2011, 12:05 PM
I liked this better than the original. The original is an over hyped piece of garbage, very crudely done.

I prefer this movie even if I felt that the mutants were a bit too "look at me, special FX" but they were effective none the less.

Li H'sen Chang
10-21-2011, 05:42 PM
These are a different mutant and I like them anyday.