PDA

View Full Version : Your first horror movie

mr.sasquatch
08-30-2003, 08:24 PM
What was the first horror movie you've ever seen? I know this may be hard to think of but give it a try. For some reason, Alien comes to mind for me. I remember hiding behind our couch and peaking out from time to time. My parents rented it on one of the old laser disc things where you had to flip it over half way through the movie. Ahhh those were the days...where technology sucked and movies were scary.

GremlinzGuy
08-30-2003, 08:38 PM
aliens...my dad took me to see it when i was real young. surprised he got me in the theater.. i must have only been 5 or 6...

>>>>www.angelfire.com/scary/oakland/index3.html <<<< a must see for any one that reads this!

SarahIzGreat
09-02-2003, 12:44 PM
mine was Interveiw With a Vampire.I still love that movie.:)

Wicked
09-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Well, being NOT of the young generation--I can't really say for sure what was my first, I can remember seeing all the B&W classics when I was hardly old enough to remember--But I DO remember the first one I every saw that really scared the crap outta me......Night of the Living Dead! My dad took me and my cousin to see it in the theater, I don't know how old I was, maybe 12 or 13. I had nightmares for two weeks--Now I watch it and laugh. But back then the scariest thing on TV was Hammer horror flicks, and corn ball horror like Ed Wood stuff.

"The banshee shrieks with WICKED delight, on this, a cold and death filled night!

Spooky Chuck
09-06-2003, 09:44 AM
I remember my parents taking me to the drive in for a double feature. This was in the 70's. I don't remember the names of either movie. Maybe one of you will know. One was about a doctor doing experiments turning people into snakes. Cobras if I remember right. The other was about these big bugs that looked like beatles, or cockroaches. They were infesting this town. Cool movies. I'd like to see them again if I can figure out what they are called.

Devil
09-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Hey Wicked, You watch Night of the Living Dead nowadays and you laugh, Laughing is the last thing I'm thinking of when I see this movie, One of the scariest movies of all time. ****, When I first saw it at the age of 10 I actually thought this movie was real and it scared me so much but I loved being scared and that's what got me hooked on horror flicks. Night got me hooked on horror flicks but it wasen't my first, Jaws 3-D in the theatre was my first ever flick. I saw it when I was 8 and I couldn't watch all if with glass's on because it was just to ****ing scary for me at the age, I didn't watch another horror movie until I was 10 when I saw Night and then, As I stated before, I was hooked on horror.;)

"Jason, Mother is talking to you!"
http://www.pitofhorror.com/f13/img19.gif

mr.sasquatch
09-10-2003, 10:18 AM
I remember Jaws 3-D in the theaters also. I was just a youngin at the time so when it got too scary I'd just remove my glasses and stare at the blurry screen.

Devil
09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Lmao!, That's exactly the same thing I would do, That big ass shark looked pretty weird blurry. I would put my glasses back on when the shark left, I had nightmares for weeks after I saw that flick.

http://www.reelhorror.com/forum/

samhain666
09-10-2003, 11:51 PM
I'm with wicked on this one, not being of the younger generation myself, but missing night on the big screen by a few years, i did get the chance to see it at a film festival in NC a few years ago and it remains one of the all time greats, but i vividly recall seeing gates of hell when i was 8 on the silver sheet, and cheesy make-up aside it was an enlightening experience.

NOT DEAD WHICH ETERNAL LIE,
STRANGER ENDS
DEAD MAY DIE.

Devil
09-11-2003, 08:34 PM
I've also seen Night on the big screen, It was during a horror movie marathon on Halloween that included the movies Night of the Living Dead, Halloween, Psycho, And the Texas Chaisaw Massacre. That was one of the best nights of my life and my buddies enjoyed it also, I guess the reason why my buddies enjoyed it so much is because they couldn't move from all the pot we had been smoking.;)

samhain666
09-12-2003, 08:51 AM
it's the only way to fly my fine fiend, I'm currently recovering from my long lived affair with the leaf, but "oh the memmories"
would love to see saw the way it should be seen though, on the big slab, burried in smoke.
great topic sasquatch, good stuff...

STRANGER ENDS
DEAD MAY DIE.

chill-seeker
09-13-2003, 10:00 PM
I don't remember any specific movie really, but I do recall something called "chiller theater" on late-night television that both utterly horrified and absolutely fascinated me whenever I was up late enough to catch it. It was some kind of detached claymation hand that would reach into a puddle of blood and form the word CHILLER from some kind of gruel it found in there! As this hand spelled out the word, a creepy, disembodied voice would say CCHHILLLLL-ERRRRRRRR! I was about 4 or 5 years old and that image caused quite a few nightmares for awhile. Does any one else remember that? I was living in New York City around...'76, '77 maybe
Actually, I do remember watching Salems Lot on TV and being scared!

Jack Reaper
09-14-2003, 12:51 AM
[?]Maybe it was an episode of Rod Sterlings NIGHT GALLERY.

Possibly an old,lost Hammer film.

You got me?[8]

samhain666
09-14-2003, 06:28 PM
the chiller theater that molded my young dark twisted mind
had an intro of a dark castle in moonlight, the camera would pan to a close up and the effects of a casket being opened could be heard, with a sadistic laugh and screams of terror, haven't seen the version with the severed hand but the time frame is right early to mid seventies, pre elvira's movie macarbe, the only place you could catch a hammer film double feature after midnight,
those were the days...
keep on slashin.

STRANGER ENDS
DEAD MAY DIE.

mr.sasquatch
09-14-2003, 08:02 PM
My television horror movies started with "Thriller Double Feature". Basically they would show 2 really awful horror movies and the beginning of the show played Led Zepplin music. It was usually on around 2 pm Saturday.

samhain666
09-15-2003, 01:55 AM
you know i can't believe i forgot about dark shadows, epic horror soap opera, early seventies, anybody ever catch it? not too brutal
but still could be classified as early horror tv. it came on weeknights at 8pm. not too bad.

keep slashin'

STRANGER ENDS
DEAD MAY DIE.

LadyOfTheNight
09-15-2003, 07:25 PM
I think the first scary movie I ever watched was either Halloween I or the old night of the living dead movie. Whichever it was, I was little, and it scared me to death. lol

"I spent eight years trying to reach him and another seven trying to keep him locked up,
because I knew what was behind his eyes is purely and simply evil...
He became an obsession with me until I realized there wasn’t anything within him neither
conscience nor reason. He wasn't even remotely human!" -Dr Loomis, Halloween

samhain666
09-15-2003, 11:07 PM
oh the wonderous years of youth....
i felt much the same when i saw dawn when it opened at the cinema, you go in with expectations of seeing a great film, then come out in "awe" impressionable psyche's are permanently influenced, and nothing is the same again....
keep on slashin'

STRANGER ENDS
DEAD MAY DIE.

Devil
09-16-2003, 12:40 PM
I remember a chiller theatre here in Canada but I don't think it's the same one that you guys are talking about. The starting of it had some guy running into a creepy house and falling through a trap door and then the voice would come up,"Welcome to chiller theatre!". They would play the best of the best horror flicks on that show and that's where I saw most horror movies for the first time ever, Like Fright Night, Halloween, Christine, Carrie, And so on. I loved it, It was on every Saturday night here and I would get impatient waiting for Saturdays to come sitting in school, Maybe that's why I didn't get straight A's, Nah, It was daydreaming that did that, lol.

Hooded Shadow
09-17-2003, 07:10 PM
I dont know if it counts but I think the first one was "Hocus Pocus" lol. The first real one would be Silence of the Lambs... I remember my mom not letting me watch that or the X-Files becuase she thought it would scare me to bad lol. I was around 10 when I actually saw the whole thing tho. Then it was like "Halloween" which I thought kicked ass. It all started from there with me and horror movies

[8] Hooded [8]

King of Hearts, Queen of Spades, when you die, I'll make you pay

mr.sasquatch
09-18-2003, 04:57 PM
You scared me with that "Hocus Pocus" comment.

"You think that when you die you go to Heaven. YOU COME TO US!!"

Devil
09-19-2003, 03:08 PM
How old are you now Hooded Shadow?, I'm thinking your pretty young. We have something in common though, You got on hooked on horror at the same age I did, 10 years old, I've love horror ever since and I think my addiction to horror movies is getting stronger each year, lol.;)

chill-seeker
09-21-2003, 10:46 AM
quote: I remember a chiller theatre here in Canada but I don't think it's the same one that you guys are talking about. The starting of it had some guy running into a creepy house and falling through a trap door and then the voice would come up,"Welcome to chiller theatre!". They would play the best of the best horror flicks on that show and that's where I saw most horror movies for the first time ever, Like Fright Night, Halloween, Christine, Carrie, And so on. I loved it, It was on every Saturday night here and I would get impatient waiting for Saturdays to come sitting in school, Maybe that's why I didn't get straight A's, Nah, It was daydreaming that did that, lol. -Devil
quote: the chiller theater that molded my young dark twisted mind
had an intro of a dark castle in moonlight, the camera would pan to a close up and the effects of a casket being opened could be heard, with a sadistic laugh and screams of terror, haven't seen the version with the severed hand but the time frame is right early to mid seventies, pre elvira's movie macarbe, the only place you could catch a hammer film double feature after midnight,
those were the days...
keep on slashin. -samhain666

Hmmm... I guess there were different versions of chiller theatre.
It's too bad there's nothing like that around today. I think it might add a bit of fun to watching TV, especially when the movie's all hacked up and censored. I've never seen Elvira hosting a movie on TV (here on the east coast) but I suppose it wouldn't be too different from her hosting countdowns on VH1!:)

blackwidow
09-24-2003, 08:17 AM
I must be around the same age.. Night of the living dead or Last house on the left were the first ones I remember.. I am sure I saw other stuff but dont remember.. When Outer limits and Twilight Zone first came out, I was hooked... of course, my birthday is on Halloween so I have always had an avid interest in the creepy!quote:Originally posted by Wicked

Well, being NOT of the young generation--I can't really say for sure what was my first, I can remember seeing all the B&W classics when I was hardly old enough to remember--But I DO remember the first one I every saw that really scared the crap outta me......Night of the Living Dead! My dad took me and my cousin to see it in the theater, I don't know how old I was, maybe 12 or 13. I had nightmares for two weeks--Now I watch it and laugh. But back then the scariest thing on TV was Hammer horror flicks, and corn ball horror like Ed Wood stuff.

"The banshee shrieks with WICKED delight, on this, a cold and death filled night!

scare the heck outta them!

LadyOfTheNight
09-29-2003, 09:36 PM
quote:my birthday is on Halloween
So is my brother-in-law's.... he celebrates his every year by having this HUGE Haunted House. It's pretty much the event of the season in our town.

"I spent eight years trying to reach him and another seven trying to keep him locked up,
because I knew what was behind his eyes is purely and simply evil...
He became an obsession with me until I realized there wasn’t anything within him neither
conscience nor reason. He wasn't even remotely human!" -Dr Loomis, Halloween

elspeth
09-30-2003, 04:02 PM
My first film was 'Dracula - Prince of Darkness' and Ive worshipped Christopher Lee ever since.

The Medieval Babe. . . .lying in a lake of Rose Petals

Devil
10-03-2003, 04:32 PM
That's awesome that your birthdays are on Halloween!, My due date for my birth was suppose to be on Halloween but I was 20 days late, My birthday is on Nov 20th. I already consider Halloween the best holiday of all time but if I was born on Halloween I don't know what it would feel like, I do know I would have a big ****ing bash every year, well, I do that anyways, lol. ;)

Astra56
10-05-2003, 06:28 PM
My first horror movie was Vincent Price in "The Pit & the Pendulmn" I was about 5 or 6 at the time. When scary movies were rated "H". I also loved Chiller Theatre. I remember the hand had 6 fingers. Also, does anyone remember Creature Features? And I used to race home from school everyday to watch Dark Shadows. It was and still is the only soap opera I've ever watched. Great question:D

Zedd
11-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Creepshow 2! The reason I remember is because I was about 5 or six and my parents and I were at a party. They started watching horror movies and I had to leave the room, but mom and dad let me watch that one. Then for a while I was too scared to watch scary movies but I never forgot that cigar store indian and the blood splashing on the walls in the garage! That and the kids on the raft being eaten by that blob of acid!!

Uh, if there's a steady paycheck, I'll believe anything you say!

wolfman7418
12-04-2003, 03:22 PM
The first one for me was The Shining when i was five. Hears a trip, how about first one heard. My mother went to the theaters to see the Exorcist while pregnant with me.

gothchick07§
01-23-2004, 06:04 PM
that wud be dah shining

Weird Terrain
02-22-2004, 01:00 AM
I think mine was The Serpent And the Rainbow or Night of the Living Dead. I cant remember excactly :)

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

Annie
02-22-2004, 01:28 PM
I know for a fact that Night of the Living Dead was the first horror movie I saw. I have very vivid memories of being scared to death by that movie when I was, like, 5 years old. Ahhhhh,memories

Immortal_thin
02-29-2004, 03:02 AM
I think it would have been The Shining, but I use to watch the Sunday horrors on tele. They were cool.
I don't know, I know my mothers 40th birthday video gave me nightmares for months.[:p]

Come into the thin,
into my nothingness.

Katherine-Krueger
03-12-2004, 04:44 PM
I was about 7 when i first saw a horror movie
and it was Child's Play
after i saw it, i put all my dolls far away in a closet cause i was sure that they were all Chucky [:p] i never played with them again lol [|)]
Now i think Chucky is funny :D

http://members.lycos.nl/bloggie/fred-banner.JPG
Give daddy the glove back, princess... :p

Weird Terrain
03-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Chucky is ok, but I've never thought he was scary in any way. But I guess the age makes a huge impact.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

AngelOfMalevolence
04-12-2004, 11:08 PM
I have to say the first movie I can remember REALLY being scared of was Hellraiser. Something about Pinhead coming to get me and rip my flesh off (or be tortured)has just always scared the crap outta me. I have a replica of the Lament Configuration and I am still afraid to play with it for fear of who or what may come out.

Weird Terrain
04-13-2004, 01:55 PM
I would kill for Pinhead to come out of my Lament Configuration. Actually, come to think about it, I may have to do that :P

Gargoyle0134
04-25-2004, 01:37 PM
My first horror flick was Frankenstein and I couldn't sleep for two weeks, because I was only 6!-My next was on Halloween when the local movie theater played a double feature of the Werewolf and Night of the Living Daed, which was just out.-They gave 2 free showings that night and I was a MESS of nerves! HA!

TTblood
04-25-2004, 05:58 PM
As a kid I used to watch many old Hammer films on my black & white portable when I should of been sleeping. Never found them excessively scary though. Other than those, the first films that I remember that gave me any disturbed sleep were the first Amitville film and Company of Wolves.

TTblood
04-25-2004, 06:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by AngelOfMalevolence

I have to say the first movie I can remember REALLY being scared of was Hellraiser. Something about Pinhead coming to get me and rip my flesh off (or be tortured)has just always scared the crap outta me.

I think I scared my son for life with this one. One night whilst he was only 3 years old and still sleeping in our bed some times, he woke up screaming pointing at the TV which I had left on when I had fallen asleep. The above film was playing.

Don't everyone shout *bad parent*. I've switched the TV off every night since before sleeping.

Weird Terrain
04-26-2004, 06:02 AM
Some children likes it, some dont. I know when, or if, I get children, then I will let them watch the movies I also watched when I was little. But I had a brother which forced me to watch it, so maybe I got a little screwed in the end, hehe. But seriously, I will not force them not to watch, they must find out for them selfes, whether or not they are into that stuff.
It is so funny with my brother though. He really loves those movies, but omg he is such a wuss. He cant stand most movies, and sometimes they really frightens him. In my case it is the other way around, but since he was the older brother, he really loved to scare me when I was little. Now the tables has turned, muahahaha.

Hellraiser is not very scary when you think about it. Pinhead is just a guide into a world of pleasure. But ofcause, it may be difficault to explain that to a 3 years old child :)

paranoid
05-18-2004, 07:06 PM
My first horror movie was Pet Semetary. I guess it's 'cause my mom's a big Stephen King fan.I don't what age I was, but I do remember I didn't even start Kindergarden yet. To be honest, it scared the crap out of me.

I'm not crazy!

Weird Terrain
05-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Which is cool in a way, cause that is what horror movies are all about. Scaring the crap out of you. When one gets older, that sometimes changes, and thats when you wish you would get more scared, like you did when you were younger. I sure miss it, hehe

joker jr.
03-25-2007, 09:09 PM
my first horror movie...oh my, that was a long time ago,um...I believe that was...a nightmare on elm street (the original)

Nihilistic Weasel
03-29-2007, 06:48 AM
Hmm my first was Beetlejuice... though it's not really a horror persay, still creepy AND hilarious!

First movie that really scared me though was the original Child's Play, I was like 8 when that came out, and the idea of toys that get possesed by a serial killer...

Let's just say after that me and G.I. Joe had a falling out... *lol*

Helphyre
03-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Wow, I'm looking at a lot of other people's first movies and thinking, "Aw...mine wasn't really as scary...." :p
Mine was the original House on Haunted Hill movie, with Vincent Price. I guess it's kind of tame, but I still like it a lot. :)

Chishio
03-31-2007, 09:08 AM
My first horror movie was an anime called Perfect Blue, when I was 12.....Yes animated movies can be scary! It was a hitchcock-like thriller. I can't remember what my first live action horror movie was....

Now I'm a fan of all things bloody, thanks to Perfect Blue!

reagan
03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Japanese anime can be super scary Chis! And gross too. Guess depends on what side of (your American 'R') you are looking at on that point tho......

Helphyre
04-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Hmmm, anime....Ninja Scroll is one that is definitely not kiddie fare, lol.
I always liked Vampire Hunter D. MMMmm...vampires.
:D

Nihilistic Weasel
04-02-2007, 06:59 AM
The same guy, Satoshi Kon, who did Perfect Blue also does a really good newer anime series called "Paranoia Agent" it's a little fantsatical, but a true horror anime.

Helphyre
04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
I've seen Paranoia Agent!! I liked it. Very psychological, to me. :D

Nihilistic Weasel
04-03-2007, 07:34 AM
*nod nod* Subtle yet horrifying, like the episode of the three friends trying to commit suicide, the old man, the young man and the little girl... man! How twisted was that?

Anyhow yes same fella did the movie "Perfect Blue" so chances are if you like one, you'll like the other!

joker jr.
04-05-2007, 02:28 AM
yeah, I love paranoia agent! one of the few good anime shows.

Nihilistic Weasel
04-05-2007, 06:34 AM
???

Plenty of good anime out there.

(Cartoon Network isn't the only place to see it)

joker jr.
04-06-2007, 01:58 AM
that's about the only channel I have other than a few Japanese channels that are of course, in Japanese, and I don't have a sub-title option on my tv.

Nihilistic Weasel
04-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Keep an eye on G4

They play one called Boogiepop Phantom

Makes Paranoia Agent look like Pokemon *lol* Well maybe not that extrememe, but it is darker and much more psycholgically in depth then PA..

They also play Lain on G4 sometimes... That's a good one too

Aquarius Eve
04-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Yep! My dad took me.. I too am surprised they let me in the theatre.
All i remembered seeing was zombies in the mall.. " spaghetti " coming out of the zombie's stomach. My dad had his hands on my eyes but I peeked thru. LOL.... I've been a fan of horror ever since. !!

Does my mom watching The Exorcist while she was pregnant with me count?? :p

Chishio
04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Speaking of anime, if you guys want to see a good horror/hentai watch the Bible Black series! I love that stuff!

Nihilistic Weasel
04-19-2007, 07:19 AM
I think that counts Aquarius! *lol*

And I'll have to look for it Chishio, thanks for the recommendation!

greendaygirl
05-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I would have to say Child's Play. ^_^

raym
06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
House.

NOT the tv show.

o_O;

Chainsawjack
08-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't recall what my actual first was, but I know that the first horror movie that I recall watching was Hell Raiser, because my dad made a big deal out of not letting my mom know that I had watched it. I Think maybe I saw From Beyond and Pumpkinhead before that though but I can't be sure.

crusher310
08-03-2007, 04:51 PM
probably amityville 2000...i think that's what its called anyways. not very good but definitely got me hooked.

iScreamUscreamWeAllScream
08-03-2007, 07:51 PM
mine was probably one of those Chuckie movies. my father forced me to watch it. i was scared and watching something else and then he kept flipping it back to the scary movie.

whatever i like horror movies now.

jeremy71
08-13-2007, 12:00 AM
ummm.... wow thats wanna take a while to think of..... 10 min latter it would have to be jack the ripper, i think

iScreamUscreamWeAllScream
08-13-2007, 09:10 AM
heeyyy jack the ripper. i dont think ive seen that one.

scaryforkids
08-15-2007, 04:39 AM
The Thing. It scared the bejesus outta me :D

Violator
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Hm. Alien was the movie I believe... I love that movie.
The only movie that's really scared me was The Grudge. I had nightmares after seeing that.

HawksHillHaunter
08-25-2007, 07:29 PM
mine was Friday the 13th...i could be dating myself by admitting to that especially after seeing some of the more recent films being firsts for many of you.

I've never gotten the image of Jason jumping up out of the lake to attack the people in the canoe at the end!!!! The next was Halloween and to this day that music gives me chills! i still love it though.

sobaylulu
10-07-2007, 03:01 AM
My 1st horror movie was 'The Tingler' w/Vincent Price. But my Grandmother (Gramps) in addition to being w/me when I saw 'The Tingler', also was responsible for me seeing 'The Exorcist' and 'The Omen'. But sometimes I wonder if 'The Wizard of Oz'', would be considered ...

joker jr.
10-07-2007, 03:04 AM
My 1st horror movie was 'The Tingler' w/Vincent Price. But my Grandmother (Gramps) in addition to being w/me when I saw 'The Tingler', also was responsible for me seeing 'The Exorcist' and 'The Omen'. But sometimes I wonder if 'The Wizard of Oz'', would be considered ...

Wizard Of Oz? hell yes. many, many people have been scared of the flying monkeys. suprisingly they never bothered me as much as the witch.. now she was f**king scary, human AND spellcaster. ha ha but anyway yeah, Oz could definitely be qualified as a horror movie.

Red Hot
10-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I never saw the Tingler! My friend rigged his theatre seats to tingle to scare his hosts, while watching the movie!
When I was very small, I too thought Wiz of Oz was horror. The witch, wizard and flying monkees were terrifying!!

reagan
10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
I never saw the Tingler! My friend rigged his theatre seats to tingle to scare his hosts, while watching the movie!
That would have been sooooooooooo cool Red! I was scared by ET. Beat that anyone! lol :)

joker jr.
10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
That would have been sooooooooooo cool Red! I was scared by ET. Beat that anyone! lol :)

LOLOL

um... TTCM '74 gave me nightmares the first time I saw it.
wait.. it was supposed to. XD

um.... geez I can't think of anything better than ET that wasn't meant to be scary.

Red Hot
10-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Yea he had a 35mm of it on a large movie screen too!! Popcorn must have flown into the air and screams galore followed! Hehehe!!

reagan
10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
"I hate you guys, I really hate you guys" - Cartman

LOL

jj - coz he was making fun of me :P
Red - Definately would have been sooooooo cool!

hunter_682
10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
The Shinning was my first and i still love it.