PDA

View Full Version : PG-13 Horror

Greg
12-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Okay, am I the only person who gets pissed at people downplaying a horror film because it isn't rated R? It really ticks me off when people trash a film marketed as horror and brushes it off saying true horror isn't rated PG-13. Yet, there's all these horror movies that are in fact R-rated and are crappy as all hell. These so called "horror fans" are just fans in name only. A show like Goosebumps, a kids show, has actually proven to show better horror aspects than a lot of these "true R-rated horror" films. Hell, I'd categorize some episodes of Courage the Cowardly Dog as horror and Coraline that came out a few years ago is a horror film, a bit of a throw-back to my favorite horror films of the past from the 40s and 50s, etc. Now, I'm not saying there aren't any crappy PG-13 films. There are a good number, but that should fall onto quality of that film-maker, not the rating.

But anyways, rather than me continue this rant, what are everyone else's opinion on this topic?

TheWizardOfGore
12-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I prefer in-your-face horror, so I'm a big fan of graphic horror films. Those usually don't get anything below an R rating. A few PG-13 horror flicks I do like include:

Drag Me to Hell
Darkness Falls

Greg
12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Hmm, you're post just gave me another idea for a thread though I wouldn't be surprised if there's already one.

TheWizardOfGore
12-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Hmm, you're post just gave me another idea for a thread though I wouldn't be surprised if there's already one.

Can't wait to see what it is. Care to give me a hint, Greg?

iHaunt
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Horror movies with PG-13 version....

I would recommend a very few titles here below...

HOUSE 2: The Second Story
Ghoulies
Poltergeist 2 and 3
Killer Klowns From Outerspace
Once Bitten (Comedy/Horror)

Randy
01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Paranormal Activity was rated R based on language. Theoretically, if you cleaned up the language, it would be a G-rated horror movie.

Greg
01-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Paranormal Activity was rated R based on language. Theoretically, if you cleaned up the language, it would be a G-rated horror movie.

I felt the exact same.

Greg
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Can't wait to see what it is. Care to give me a hint, Greg?

Ah, no hint necessary. Was thinking of having a thread/poll asking everyone's favorite horror sub-genre.