PDA

View Full Version : Best David Cronenberg Film

Randy
10-23-2009, 09:09 AM
We haven't had a poll around here in a while, so here's one. Which one of the following movies is David Cronenberg's best film?

Randy
10-23-2009, 09:12 AM
If I left your favorite David Cronenberg movie off the list, then please forgive me. I'm only allowed to post 10 options because of the forum software.

alphaomega9997
02-13-2010, 11:17 PM
"Shivers" is My Favorite Cronenberg Movie I think The Parasites were Cool in this Movie and it was funny to Me that Everybody in The building turned into Crazy Horny Weirdos.

Greg
02-14-2010, 12:05 AM
I can't pick due to the fact I haven't seen much of his films besides The Fly and History of Violence, both being very damn excellent films.

juniordriftwood
02-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Videodrome is my pick as David Cronenbergs best work.James Woods gives a powerhouse of a performance.Twisted,sick,warped,and beyond belief for the time in which it was released.Not to be missed.

Randy
03-20-2011, 10:39 AM
What's the best David Cronenberg movie? (I'm bumping this thread because I only had three people vote in the original poll. I'm hoping that some of my new friends here will chime in with their ideas about what the best David Cronenberg movies are.)

NOBODY
03-20-2011, 10:57 AM
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae38/666GOREHOUND666/scanners.gif

Randy
03-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Scanners was the first David Cronenberg movie I ever saw, actually. Scanners was also the first R-rated movie I ever saw, too. Great film.

I loved The Brood, personally. And I just saw eXistenZ for the first time a few weeks ago, and I loved it too, although I didn't really think of it as a horror movie.

NOBODY
03-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Yes , THE BROOD & SCANNERS are running just about neck to neck , fighting for first place in my heart , but SCANNERS was the better Drive-In experience !!!

Yes , I saw them both there !!!

The late 70's to early 80's ruled Horror !!!!!!!

Doctor Frankenstein
03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I went with The Fly though Scanners, Videodrome, and existenz are also some favorites of mine.

Randy
03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
The Fly is a great choice. I loved that one back in the day. Back when Geena Davis was still hot.

Doctor Frankenstein
03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
The Fly is a great choice. I loved that one back in the day. Back when Geena Davis was still hot.

Yeah this is Geena Davis now. :p

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab340/lancedawes/LouDiGiaimo_CastingBy-3.jpg

Waingro
03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I picked The Fly my favorite is Shivers (not on the list).

nancylives!
03-21-2011, 08:02 AM
for me, it's a tough pick between scanners and the fly. the fly is probably a "better" film--better acted, better story, grander themes--but there is something about scanners. there are elements in scanners--when jennifer o'neal gets scanned by the fetus, the artist's warehouse, michael f@#$ing ironside, the beautiful work of dick smith, and the david's slight youthful rawness--that puts scanners at the top for me.

Randy
03-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Yeah, Michael Ironside IS pretty awesome, isn't he?

nancylives!
03-21-2011, 08:22 AM
so, yeah, i had to drill a hole in my forehaed to let the voices out, you know how it is. i'm such a baddass, i then drew an eye on my bandaid. sure, go ahead, fire a shotgun straight up into the air right next to me, i don't care.

ya know, we horror fans give a lot of props to tom atkins for being a tough guy, and rightfully so, but michael ironside is a pretty awesome ass kicker, and he has a strong genre resume: scanners, visiting hours, starship troopers, v, prom night 2, total recall...

TheWizardOfGore
03-21-2011, 10:05 AM
for me, it's a tough pick between scanners and the fly. the fly is probably a "better" film--better acted, better story, grander themes--but there is something about scanners. there are elements in scanners--when jennifer o'neal gets scanned by the fetus, the artist's warehouse, michael f@# ironside, the beautiful work of dick smith, and the david's slight youthful rawness--that puts scanners at the top for me.

It's always hard to beat exploding heads. Here's a bit of trivia for you: during the film's famous scene where Ironhead blows the guys head up, the effects crew built and look-alike dummy, filled it up to simulate blood and brains, and then shot it from below with a shotgun.

Kersey
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I've always found Scanners to be highly overrated. Apart from the head-explosion scene in the beginning, it's really not much of a movie. I even dislike it now more as an adult. I've seen it again recently and it just bored me to sleep. It's very dated as well. Michael Ironside's performances are always fun to watch but it's just really not a good movie.

Proteus
03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I chose Videodrome. I can watch that over and over again and still wonder what exactly Cronenberg is trying to say.

The_Real_Kyle_Sember81
03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
A History of Violence

Richard Cranium
03-22-2011, 06:24 AM
The Fly then Scanners.

nancylives!
03-22-2011, 09:12 PM
I've always found Scanners to be highly overrated. Apart from the head-explosion scene in the beginning, it's really not much of a movie. I even dislike it now more as an adult. I've seen it again recently and it just bored me to sleep. It's very dated as well. Michael Ironside's performances are always fun to watch but it's just really not a good movie.
http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/christmas-carol/1971-toon-humbug-scrooge.jpg

Kersey
03-24-2011, 11:07 AM
I've never seen any of the Scanners sequels. Any head explosions scenes in those?

Doctor Frankenstein
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
I've never seen any of the Scanners sequels. Any head explosions scenes in those?

Yeah there are.

Kersey
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah there are.

Which one of the sequels? Are the head explosions as awesome as in the first one? What about that Scanner Cop movie?

Doctor Frankenstein
03-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Which one of the sequels? Are the head explosions as awesome as in the first one? What about that Scanner Cop movie?

Both sequels have them. They try to be but they aren't done very well. I haven't seen Scanner Cop so I don't know about that one. I'll watch it now and find out.

Waingro
03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Scanner Cop is pretty terrible.

Doctor Frankenstein
03-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Scanner Cop is pretty terrible.

Yes. Yes it was. :D