PDA

View Full Version : Best Horror Movie Director

Randy
10-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Who, in your opinion, is the best horror movie director?

My personal favorite is John Carpenter, with George Romero being a close second.

How about you?

Horrorman
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
"Wes Craven is pretty good as well!"

Randy
10-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Wes Craven seems pretty hit or miss to me. I hated Shocker for example, but loved the Nightmare movies. (But I guess you could say John Carpenter is pretty hit-or-miss too. Some of his recent stuff, like the episodes of Masters of Horror he directed, are pretty awful.)

Horrorman
10-29-2008, 05:45 AM
My favorite Carpenter movie to this day is "The Thing"
I thought it was even better than the original movie from the fifties.

Randy
10-29-2008, 10:43 AM
The Thing was awesome. Loved it then, love it now. Watched it with my 13 year old boy not too long ago, and he loved it too.

awesomeguy
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
i agree with randy man

discoredia
11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Overall, I'd have to say Wes Craven BUT the best Carpenter films are better than the worse Craven ones so I guess it's just personal choice. I suppose it maybe just comes down to the fact that I always prefered A Nightmare on Elm Street to Halloween.

Randy
11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
A Nightmare On Elm Street was mighty good stuff, that's for sure.

Woman_In_Hell
11-09-2008, 03:57 PM
My favorites are: Tobe Hooper, John Carpenter, and Dario Argento (mainly because I like Goblin, the band he uses for the music in his films).

Rodr-Evil
11-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Carpenter in The Thing.

alphaomega9997
01-30-2010, 10:53 PM
"Clive Barker" is My Absolute Favorite Director I hope He Directs Another Movie some time in Future but I Doubt it.

DorianDawes
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Can't believe no one has mentioned Alfred Hitchcock. The Birds? Psycho anyone? Rear Window? Classic films that pushed the boundary, and paved the way for the horror-revolution of the 70s and 80s.

A close second would be Wes Craven, as he is an innate storyteller who might not be that great of a producer (Scream was terrible) but when he mans the helm as a director and writer, he's fucking gold.

Last House on the Left, the original is such an artistic, brutal look at humanity. A rarity in the horror genre.

The Serpent and the Rainbow, a fascinating and well-researched look at Haitian voodoo. Disturbing, and intricate. A very smart-thriller.

Nightmare on Elm St..."Don't. Fall. Asleep." Need I say more?

juniordriftwood
02-13-2010, 10:34 AM
My best director choice goes to Dario Argento Tenebrae,Phenomena,Bird With The Crystal Plumage,Trauma its a impressive body of work.
Second choice would be John Carpenter
Third choice would be Tobe Hooper
Fourth choice would be Wes Craven
Fifth choice would be Alfred Hitchcock
Yes I know this not a Top 5 but the others their contributions have to be recognized.

TheWizardOfGore
03-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Park Chan-Wook is a good one. While the Korean director has primarily done movies that would be categorized as thrillers, his film Thirst would certainly fall into the horror category. And while it's not horror, I would strongly recommend his Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance).

Waingro
03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Bruno Mattei.

Completely underrated, a scape goat for upper crust snobby fans everywhere Mattei was responsible for some of the most fun, derivative Italian movies to grace the screen.

Proteus
03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I would go with Romero but I'm excluding his recent work. I think he was a great director back in the day.

Prowler
03-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Alfred Hitchcock, god damn does he put effort into those films. They are really, really good.

Followed by Carpenter, Romero and Cunningham.

Doctor Frankenstein
03-26-2011, 06:21 PM
I really enjoy Takashi Miike's films. Carpenter and Wes Craven as well.

The_Real_Kyle_Sember81
03-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Carpenter is the best. Gordon is the most consistent. Hitchcock is the most overrated. Argento is Italian.

Proteus
03-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Carpenter is the best. Gordon is the most consistent. Hitchcock is the most overrated. Argento is Italian.

Hitchcock overrated? You will be fed to the wolves and your skin harvested for couch upholstery.

Waingro
03-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Umberto Lenzi

Doctor Frankenstein
03-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Umberto Lenzi

I really liked Paranoia and Syndicate Sadists. But I haven't seen them in a long time. Perhaps its time for a re-watch. :rolleyes:

Waingro
03-27-2011, 06:40 PM
I really liked Paranoia and Syndicate Sadists. But I haven't seen them in a long time. Perhaps its time for a re-watch. :rolleyes:

I support all your Lenzi revisiting.

iHaunt
03-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Robert Rodriguez.

Waingro
03-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Not to insult your choice in director (just look at my picks) but Rodriguez just rubs me the wrong way. He's like Tarantino to me, both were fine to start with, but now I'm just annoyed and burned out by them.

Randy
03-28-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm not even sure I'd include Robert Rodriguez as a horror directory. I guess he made Terror Planet, and also From Dusk Til Dawn, but I feel like he's more of an action movie director. Machete sure was a disappointment, wasn't it?

Waingro
03-28-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm not even sure I'd include Robert Rodriguez as a horror directory. I guess he made Terror Planet, and also From Dusk Til Dawn, but I feel like he's more of an action movie director. Machete sure was a disappointment, wasn't it?

I hated Machete. Rodriguez also made The Faculty.

Randy
03-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Oh, yeah--The Faculty was great! I forgot about that one. Loved it though.

E.F. Benson
03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
William Friedkin. The Exorcist wouldn't be the classic it is if he wasn't the director.

TheWizardOfGore
03-28-2011, 10:21 PM
William Friedkin. The Exorcist wouldn't be the classic it is if he wasn't the director.

E.F., have you seen Sorcerer, the film Friedkin directed after The Exorcist? It's not a horror film at all, but it is a damn solid movie. It's based on the French film, The Wages of Fear.

NOBODY
03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
E.F., have you seen Sorcerer, the film Friedkin directed after The Exorcist? It's not a horror film at all, but it is a damn solid movie. It's based on the French film, The Wages of Fear.

" Sorcerer " , is one of my all time favorites !!!!

Great choice there Wiz !!!!!

That and " The Keep " would be a great double feature for a movie night !!! ;)

TheWizardOfGore
03-28-2011, 10:37 PM
" Sorcerer " , is one of my all time favorites !!!!

Great choice there Wiz !!!!!

That and " The Keep " would be a great double feature for a movie night !!! ;)

I saw The Keep when I was a kid, but that's been a long time ago. It's one that I intend to revisit, especially because of the strength of the cast.

iHaunt
03-28-2011, 10:38 PM

He's great director, and he's only the young guy! LOL He did make a VERY good horror/thriller/crime movies!!! MACHETE is very good, too! :)

nancylives!
03-29-2011, 05:52 AM
so many to choose from...my narrowest list would be george romero, wes craven, james whale, jack arnold, and david lynch. oh f%ck it, let's put carpenter on there, too.

Waingro
03-29-2011, 07:18 AM

The scenes in the church robbery were filmed at the church up the street from where I grew up. I actually knew the priest and the people in the church.

The_Real_Kyle_Sember81
03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
so many to choose from...my narrowest list would be george romero, wes craven, james whale, jack arnold, and david lynch. oh f%ck it, let's put carpenter on there, too.

I'm philosophically opposed to David Lynch and his manner of film making. I think his movies are pretentious garbage. Same goes for Kelly's Southland Tales and Ferrara's The Addiction.

Randy
03-29-2011, 05:29 PM
I agree with you about Southland Tales, but not David Lynch. I like David Lynch's movies.

nancylives!
03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
i was utterly disappointed with southland tales. i loved the cast, but what a mess that movie was. i absolutely adored donnie darko. kelly seemed to have a very promising career ahead of him; no it seems that donnie was his one and only good film. i liked the addiction, as well as ferrara's body snatchers.

david lynch, to me, just gets it. he knows how to find the darkness that lurks behind every bit of light. he's like norman rockwell's evil reflection. i can see how'd you'd find him pretentious, but i think he's a true genius. there;s nothing pretentious about pabst blue ribbon!

E.F. Benson
03-29-2011, 09:10 PM

No, I'll look into it. Thanks

Kersey
03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm philosophically opposed to David Lynch and his manner of film making. I think his movies are pretentious garbage. Same goes for Kelly's Southland Tales and Ferrara's The Addiction.

For once, I agree with Kyle here. David Lynch literally makes s**t on a stick. He throws random crap in his films that are supposed to be "symbolism" yet they are simply random nonsensical crap scenes that do nothing to move the story forward or explain anything. He's a weak storyteller. If you take away his supposed "symbolism," his movies have no actual point, they are just thrown together scenes that look like a mentally-challenges film student's b-roll footage. Even WITH those scenes, his movies have no actual point. Total crap and hands down one of the worst, if not, THE worst, filmmakers around. I will gladly watch ANYTHING Uwe Boll or Michael Bay make. At least their films have a definitive beginning, middle and ending and you can easily follow what's going on--or what's supposed to be going on.

Proteus
03-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I agree with this. Lynch's movies are very overrated. I watched Eraserhead a few weeks ago and can't understand why people like his movies so much.

nancylives!
03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
For once, I agree with Kyle here. David Lynch literally makes s**t on a stick. He throws random crap in his films that are supposed to be "symbolism" yet they are simply random nonsensical crap scenes that do nothing to move the story forward or explain anything. He's a weak storyteller. If you take away his supposed "symbolism," his movies have no actual point, they are just thrown together scenes that look like a mentally-challenges film student's b-roll footage. Even WITH those scenes, his movies have no actual point. Total crap and hands down one of the worst, if not, THE worst, filmmakers around. I will gladly watch ANYTHING Uwe Boll or Michael Bay make. At least their films have a definitive beginning, middle and ending and you can easily follow what's going on--or what's supposed to be going on.

you probably just don't get it;)

Kersey
03-30-2011, 04:19 PM
you probably just don't get it;)

Well, since Fire Walk With Me makes SO much sense.:rolleyes:

Amazing scenes with backwards talking/walking midgets saying classic lines like: "Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this...woopwoopwoopwoopwoo"

Let's not forget the great scene in the opening with that chick making a lemon-sucking face, hopping on one foot and sticking out some fingers. That was true "genius." :rolleyes:

David Lynch is like those whistles that only dog's can hear. But in his case, he makes movies that only pretentious goth/emo kids like.

NOBODY
03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Heavy Drug Use , Brother's & Sister's ...

Heavy Drug Use ...

It's All Attributed To ... " HEAVY DRUG USE " !!!!!!! { LOL :D LOL }

Doctor Frankenstein
03-30-2011, 04:48 PM
I was checking out David Lynch's credentials on IMDB and I've realized that I've never seen anything he's made. I keep looking it over to make sure, but I've not seen one of these films listed. :confused:

nancylives!
03-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Well, since Fire Walk With Me makes SO much sense.:rolleyes:

Amazing scenes with backwards talking/walking midgets saying classic lines like: "Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this...woopwoopwoopwoopwoo"

Let's not forget the great scene in the opening with that chick making a lemon-sucking face, hopping on one foot and sticking out some fingers. That was true "genius." :rolleyes:

David Lynch is like those whistles that only dog's can hear. But in his case, he makes movies that only pretentious goth/emo kids like.

there you go again, kersey, making sweeping generalizations about things and pigeonholing people based on their likes and dislikes. oh, you...

i actually haven't seen fire walk with me. i liked twin peaks to a point, but i'm not all agog about it. for me, david lynch's finest moments are blue velvet (one of my all time favorite movies, and one that opens up a very dark can of worms for me), wild at heart, lost highway, mullholland drive, dune, elephant man, and the straight story (i recommend this latter flick for those who find lynch overly pretentious; it's a very spare film, and, like the title would suggest, pretty straightforward).

for me, david's imagery is fiercely infecting. when jeffrey is being beaten by frank and his thugs, and then dreaming and waking up, what he sees is what i would imagine one might see after such a vicious, joyful beating. i personally enjoy his off the wall characters, that sort of bring a violent mindset to a fifties sensibility. his choice of music, both individual artists--this mortal coil, david bowie, ketty lester, roy orbison, NIN, etc--as well as angelo badalamenti--who has a really nice jazzy, dark sound, really vibes with my musical tastes. i think lynch's movies are often about finding light, or rather, something to be joyful about, in the face of darkness, or evil, or amorality. i think his symbols are often pretty obvious, as in the case of blue velvet, where he uses carrion beetles, robins, and a blonde, vibrant laura dern.

this will come as no surprise to y'all, i'm sure, but the fact that he champions meditation as a global, social healing factor, also intrigues me. this makes me look at his art in another light, as he is consumed with social change and pacifism, but makes movies that often feature the darkest, pathological s.o.b.'s around. i dunno, he fascinates me, and his visual style and storytelling speaks to me...

Randy
03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Blue Velvet is probably his best film. I also really enjoyed The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive. Wild at Heart is worth seeing too. I didn't like Eraserhead, but I saw it years ago. I'd give it another chance, but I'm guessing I still wouldn't like it.

I don't know any emo or Goth kids who are into David Lynch. Most of those kids came along after David Lynch, frankly.
I was checking out David Lynch's credentials on IMDB and I've realized that I've never seen anything he's made. I keep looking it over to make sure, but I've not seen one of these films listed. :confused:

nancylives!
03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
i do agree about eraserhead; it doesn't do a whole lot for me, and to be honest, i haven't seen it in like 25 years. it's probably worth another look.

Kersey
03-31-2011, 09:26 AM

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time. He is the definition of what a filmmaker shouldn't be.

Kersey
03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
there you go again, kersey, making sweeping generalizations about things and pigeonholing people based on their likes and dislikes. oh, you...

i actually haven't seen fire walk with me. i liked twin peaks to a point, but i'm not all agog about it. for me, david lynch's finest moments are blue velvet (one of my all time favorite movies, and one that opens up a very dark can of worms for me), wild at heart, lost highway, mullholland drive, dune, elephant man, and the straight story (i recommend this latter flick for those who find lynch overly pretentious; it's a very spare film, and, like the title would suggest, pretty straightforward).

for me, david's imagery is fiercely infecting. when jeffrey is being beaten by frank and his thugs, and then dreaming and waking up, what he sees is what i would imagine one might see after such a vicious, joyful beating. i personally enjoy his off the wall characters, that sort of bring a violent mindset to a fifties sensibility. his choice of music, both individual artists--this mortal coil, david bowie, ketty lester, roy orbison, NIN, etc--as well as angelo badalamenti--who has a really nice jazzy, dark sound, really vibes with my musical tastes. i think lynch's movies are often about finding light, or rather, something to be joyful about, in the face of darkness, or evil, or amorality. i think his symbols are often pretty obvious, as in the case of blue velvet, where he uses carrion beetles, robins, and a blonde, vibrant laura dern.

this will come as no surprise to y'all, i'm sure, but the fact that he champions meditation as a global, social healing factor, also intrigues me. this makes me look at his art in another light, as he is consumed with social change and pacifism, but makes movies that often feature the darkest, pathological s.o.b.'s around. i dunno, he fascinates me, and his visual style and storytelling speaks to me...

You're incorrect. He's garbage.

Randy
03-31-2011, 09:53 AM
David Lynch is a genius. He's a brilliant director.

Kersey
03-31-2011, 09:59 AM
In bizarro world.

Randy
03-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Nope. Right here and right now. David Lynch is awesome. He seems like a really nice guy, too--if you've seen any of the documentaries about him, you can see what a cool and down-to-earth person he really is. Nothing pretentious about him.

And his movies (with some exceptions) are excellent. See them for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

David Lynch is wonderful !!!

Doctor Frankenstein
03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Nope. Right here and right now. David Lynch is awesome. He seems like a really nice guy, too--if you've seen any of the documentaries about him, you can see what a cool and down-to-earth person he really is. Nothing pretentious about him.

And his movies (with some exceptions) are excellent. See them for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

David Lynch is wonderful !!!

What do you recommend I watch first since I've not seen any of his films?

Randy
03-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Blue Velvet, definitely. It's one of his most accessible films.

The Straight Story is excellent, too, even though it's atypical for a David Lynch film.

I LOVED Mulholland Drive, but it might be a little confusing for some people. My wife had trouble understanding it, but it makes perfect sense if you think about it and pay attention.

Wild at Heart is pretty good, but not as good as the 3 I've already mentioned.

I didn't like Eraserheard. I liked Dune better the first time I saw it than the 2nd time. It's poorly edited, but still worthwhile.

What do you recommend I watch first since I've not seen any of his films?

Doctor Frankenstein
03-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Blue Velvet, definitely.

Okay. I'll be watching that tonight. Thanks for the recommendation.

nancylives!
03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
You're incorrect. He's garbage.
it's difficult for me to refute such a well-reasoned, thoughtful argument.

i'm speechless. how wrong i've been:eek:.

Doctor Frankenstein
04-01-2011, 12:17 AM
I watched Blue Velvet and I found it to be a bit slow for my taste. But I did like the over all storyline of the movie. I thought it was pretty inventive in some spots, dull in others for me. I'm going to watch either The Straight Story or Mulholland Drive tomorrow see if maybe I like those a bit better. Thanks again for the recommendations. :)

nancylives!
04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
don't be afraid of dune, especially if you've read the book. it's epic and uneven, and if you've read it, you can sort of fill in the weak spots. if you can see a 4 hour version of it, all the better, cus that movie just got hacked to pieces.

i would venture that lynch's most uptempo, action-packed movie is wild at heart.

mullholland drive is phenomenal. lost highway is crazy and awesome.

Doctor Frankenstein
04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I've always wanted to watch the entire Dune saga. I've really only watched about 15 minutes of it, and that was a long time ago. It seems like something I could definitely get into. I might watch a chunk of that tonight as well.

Kersey
04-01-2011, 03:30 PM
it's difficult for me to refute such a well-reasoned, thoughtful argument.

i'm speechless. how wrong i've been:eek:.

Perhaps if I parrot some liberal critic's long, ass-kissy, review verbatim with some of my own words sprinkled in, then you'd love my argument? Or perhaps you could just read my previous posts where I clearly state why he sucks, complete with an actual quote and scene from one of his highly overrated, crappy, movies? :rolleyes:

nancylives!
04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Perhaps if I parrot some liberal critic's long, ass-kissy, review verbatim with some of my own words sprinkled in, then you'd love my argument? Or perhaps you could just read my previous posts where I clearly state why he sucks, complete with an actual quote and scene from one of his highly overrated, crappy, movies? :rolleyes:
dude, i hafta set you straight on one thing real quick...to me, liberalism is WAY too conservative (no offense to liberals; some of my best friends and family are they). i've come to enjoy your ribbing of my values and writing--i mean hey, you're noticing--but you've called me a liberal for the last time. find a word that's much farther to the left, please.

you elitist, conservative, self-serving, martyr, agent of the Man, cog in the machine:rolleyes:!

http://www.computertroublesolver.com/image-files/liberal-conservative-defined.jpg

(all in good fun, my man:))

The_Real_Kyle_Sember81
04-01-2011, 04:32 PM
dude, i hafta set you straight on one thing real quick...to me, liberalism is WAY too conservative (no offense to liberals; some of my best friends and family are they).) Dude, it's ok. You can offend liberals.