PDA

View Full Version : When a Stranger Calls (1979)

Randy
10-27-2008, 08:08 AM
I first saw When a Stranger Calls when I was just a kid, maybe 10 or 11 years old, and for some reason, the 20 minutes or so opening act terrified me more than any other horror movie scene I'd seen in my youth. So last night, the wife and I sat down to watch When a Stranger Calls on DVD. To my delight, the first act was just as creepy and spooky as it was the first time I saw it.

Some other things I liked about When a Stranger Calls:

Colleen Dewhurst's performance as the barfly - she's a great actress, but her interactions with the killer in this movie were just great.
Charles Durning as the unlikely leading man. Nowadays, leading men in movies all look like Bruce Willis or Brad Pitt, but here was a leading man with grey hair and a great big belly, saving the day.
The camera shots of the phone, combined with the music, to make an everyday object seem as scary as any vampire ever.

Anyone else here a fan of When a Stranger Calls (1979)? I haven't seen the remake, but I'm curious about how many people have seen the original and whether or not they enjoyed it.

Red Hot
10-27-2008, 08:27 AM
I saw the original version and I too agree that it left me with my heart beating and my skin filled with goosebumps!!

Simfan012000
11-08-2008, 06:24 AM
You know I only saw the new one but now I want to see the old one. I've only seen clips and they look soooo freakin' scary

Randy
11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I didn't like the new version of When A Stranger Calls at all, but I got a little bit of a kick out of the Asylum picture When A Killer Calls. It was really low-budget, but that seemed to work for the subject matter.