PDA

View Full Version : Goosebumps movie

Shadow Master
09-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Yep. You read that title right. The children's books from the nineties that spanned a television series, and two other series of books, is getting a movie.

joker jr.
09-09-2008, 12:11 AM
I thought they already made a movie?
Ok, basically it was just a collection of the TV episodes, but nonetheless.
I always rather liked those. I'm guessing it will be more of a movie-length story, rather than a collection this time?

hindustallion
09-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Do you know where I can buy the CD's or DVD's of Goosebumps series. I searched Amazon but found NIL

joker jr.
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I don't think they ever made DVDs.
All I ever knew of was VHS.

Though replayed the entire series on CartoonNetwork last year in October. Maybe they'll do it again this year.

Shadow Master
09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
They only made VHS copies of the TV series.

The movie however, I imagine it'll be a theatrical release.

hindustallion
09-11-2008, 10:06 PM
What about their comic books? Do you think that i could get it anywhere

joker jr.
09-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Comic books?

All I know of are novels. Short, but not quite short stories.

hindustallion
09-12-2008, 08:09 PM
They never released comic books? Maybe I am talking about the Tales from the Crypt.
Do you think any Goosebump stuff can be bought in Internet

joker jr.
09-14-2008, 01:40 AM
http://amazon.com/ Will probably have plenty.

And yes, Tales From The Crypt is much older but it is a comic book.

hindustallion
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks JJ. Wonder why I didn't got it when searched the whole thing

Helphyre
09-15-2008, 02:21 AM
I remember reading the entire book series (my library still has them all in the same spot). My favorite had to have been that demented sponge under the sink, and the Mummy's Hand ones.
Wow, an actual movie. This should be interesting. Although, considering that Goosebumps was mid-late 90s stuff, there's a distinct possibility that most kids young enough to have heard of it for the first time will react with, "What? Why? Who? Don't care. I want to go play GTA and post blogs on Myspace about my angsty life of middle-class suburban repression!" :rolleyes:
Which is sad. I never really enjoyed the TV series, but the books were good--considering they were for teens n' tweens. *shrug*
It did make horror a little more palatable for some kids, but on the other hand, being a slight purist myself, I have to play Devil's Advocate and wonder if they didn't water it down just a little.
Although, remember that one with the cursed camera? How wacky would it be for them to actually show that in the movie?
Well, they might make up a whole new plot, but still.
Long post. Pondering mood. :p

joker jr.
09-15-2008, 02:57 AM
"Say Cheese And Die" was the one with the camera.
My cousin gave that one to me; I still think that one was just a little much for younger kids, from what I remember of it. If they did put that into the movie, they'd likely have to up the rating to PG-13 or so.

Helphyre
09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Ahh, that one, yeah.
People getting punctured by things would, theoretically, merit an R rating. But that's just me.

joker jr.
09-16-2008, 03:26 AM
Not only being punctured by rusty, infectious objects, but as I recall wasn't his father horribly injured in his car?

Helphyre
09-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Oof...you know, I'm not sure. Don't quite remember. But yes, that would definitely get an R rating.
After all, Friday the 13th had that scene with the machete impaling that kid through the bunk, and that one was R, if I remember correctly.

If it was done well, the movie could be awesome. Personally, I don't want to see more gore-fests with no plot. I mean, I like a cool looking spray of blood on screen like anyone else, but still!
Special FX + bimbo actors - decent plot = blockbuster? Sad.
I'm getting cynical in my old age. :p

Shadow Master
09-21-2008, 11:45 PM
The movie will probably be rated PG. I saw "Exorcism of Emily Rose", and, believe me, PG13 rating scares aren't that good. If you've seen one random sorta scary thing popping outta nowhere, you've seen them all. (if you're me that is)

Helphyre
09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Not to mention, the theatres tend to turn up the sound right before something happens. Like when I went to see the remake of The Fog for instance (gag, by the way). There were no surprises whatsoever (I pretended there were to look cute for this idiot, though).

PG13 scares could conceivably be good if done properly, I guess.
So basically, it'll probably be the kind of thing that will scare five year olds, but no one else. You think?

Shadow Master
09-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Meh, potentially speaking yes. Before the PG-13 rating existed, we'd get PG movies with good scares, like Gremlins for example.

Nowadays, everything's kinda random.

Exorcism of Emily Rose is a film that looked like "we don't wanna scare them TOO much, just a little bit", combined with an "our religion is right" storyline, that basically rapes the true incident it's supposed to be based on.

Helphyre
09-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Oy, that doesn't bode well for the film industry. Well, at least there's del Toro, who does movies (at least 95% of the time) that I like.

Yeah, I feel that the political correctness thing can really ruin a good movie. Sure, I think a movie should be enjoyed by a vast audience, but when you tone down everything for fear of getting sued, it becomes flat and unremarkable.
I actually avoided watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose because I heard it was so unimpressive. I still love The Exorcist as THE "help, demonic possession!" film.

mongrelmovies
01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
I grew up with Goosebumps books too and loved them. Does anyone have a link to an article or anything about the movie, I'm pretty curious.

blackpearl
02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I loved the Goosebumps books when I was little. My parents never wanted me to read them so I used to have to sneak reading them lol. A movie would be awesome though. Any idea when it might come out?

beavisandfuturamafan
04-03-2009, 09:53 AM
its just a movie no need to be excited :p