PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Psychological Horror Flicks

Phantom Queen
05-26-2008, 04:01 PM
What are your top 5 picks for Psychological Horror?

Mine are (in no order):

-The Others
-Cube
-Silence of the Lambs
-Psycho (the original)
-Carnival of Souls

Soulshaker
06-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Phantom Queen, by "psychological horror" do you mean movies that don't include the supernatural or a monster?

If so, here are mine:

1. The Wicker Man (1973)
2. No Country for Old Men (2007) Maybe a stretch to call it horror, but it has characteristics of a slasher movie -- Javier Bardem terrifies me as a killer!
3. Duel -- It's hard to believe Steven Spielberg's made this movie, it's so slim and un-indulgent. That semi-truck is a character I'll never forget.
4. Silence of the Lambs
5. X-Files episode: the inbreeding episode. whoa!

If "psychological horror" refers to a movie in which the main character doubts there's real, actual menace...
1. Pan's Labyrinth -- in my top five of all time
2. The Orphanage (El Orfananto is the closest I've ever come to screaming)
3. The Blair Witch Project -- when I saw it the movie was still new enough, and I was still young enough, to think it could have been true. I haven't seen it since then, and I don't know if I'd still like it, but WOW was it scary!
4. Signs (until the end)
5. The Others

Phantom Queen
06-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I tend to think of psychological horror as less visceral than a slasher flick, it uses more suggestive power to induce fear or horror. That does not mean, in my opinion, that there can't be real monsters or ghosts, its more the way the horror is created in the film. More mind as opposed to eyes. I guess your second definition would be closer to my definition.

E.F. Benson
06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
1. Psycho

2. The Blair Witch Project

3. Rosemary's Baby

4. Jacob's Ladder

5. Silence of the Lambs

Freddy's Fake Head
06-07-2008, 02:15 AM
yall are forgetting Clockwork Orange, that's gotta be one of the best psychological horror flicks ever, especially when you see those burglars rape the chick.

Soulshaker
06-09-2008, 01:36 PM
regarding Clockwork Orange, it's horrific alright, though it definitely relies more on explicit image than the power of suggestion (to refer to Phantom Queen's def). however, it would fit the non-supernatural definition of psychological horror.

Pumpboy
07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
The Changling
Rosemary's Baby
Psycho
The Sixth Sense
The Machinist

Randy
04-28-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure that I would include The Cube on a list of "best psychological horror" movies. It just didn't seem that horrific to me. Silence of the Lambs, on the other hand, seems like a slam dunk for a "top psychological horror" list. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Barton Fink or Eraserhead, since we're talking about "psychological" horror.

I'd also be interested in hearing people's opinions about the best psychological horror books.

Hathaway
05-19-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm afraid that I just can't put them in order. But I'll still give you a Top 5.

- The Others

- The Machinist

- A Tale of Two Sisters

- The Sixth Sense

- Blair Witch Project

While my choices are not the definitive list of psychological horrors, they are still my own personal favourites.

Greg
05-25-2009, 09:48 PM
The Innocents is definitely a favorite of mine.

deadnurse
05-28-2009, 07:11 AM
I think Uninvited cal be added to these lists.

timlara
06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I want to see the cube, ive heard about it haha

Randy
08-06-2009, 06:46 AM
When you ask a question like "What are the best psychological horror movies?" it helps to define what a "psychological horror movie" IS.

The Wikipedia says that "psychological horror" relies on the character's fears, guilts, beliefs, and emotional instability to build tension and further the plot. They give examples like The Sixth Sense and The Blair Witch Project. They also mention the Ring trilogy.

To me, that makes The Shining the ultimate psychological horror movie.

Some other "best psychological horror movies" on my list would include:

The Thing
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Jacob's Ladder
Seven

I'd love to see the discussion of best psychological horror movies continue.

ArizhelKaltak
09-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I really liked Secret Window, but I will have to check out some more psychological thriller/horrors.

splattered
09-17-2009, 08:36 AM
i thought 1408 was a pretty good psychological horror flick.

SnickyH
09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
WOW, you guys pretty much nailed my top!

Not sure The machinist or The blair witch project deserve to be up here though...

LordMoe
09-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Rosemary's Baby is my favorite. A true masterpiece.

Randy
10-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Rosemary's Baby IS a great one!

MyraHindley
10-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Gemini by Shinya Tsukamoto is an outstanding psychological horror with stunning visuals. All of his films could really be in here, but this one is standout.

I'd also add Kansen (Infection) by Masayuki Ochiai, Strange Circus by Sion Sono, Gozu by Takashi Miike, and Marebito by Takashi Shimizu.

Yeah... I'm a recovering Japanoholic.

whitechapel
10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Hmm, what about Mulholland Drive?

freaked me out :S haha.

lj40
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
At first glance I didn't see them listed, but after re-checking I want to add support for:

Jacob's Ladder
Seven
The Thing (primarily the 2nd version due to the nature of the alien)

..and an additional one (although not really horror-related)..

12 Monkeys

..I also would like to add The Village..not that it was top five material, but because I felt mind-f****d for wasting the time watching it. Deep DEEP mental scarring on that one!! :mad:

nancylives!
11-18-2010, 05:04 AM
1. blue velvet
2. shivers
3. texas chainsaw massacre
4. phenomena
5. any lars von trier movie

lj40
11-18-2010, 07:04 AM
1. blue velvet
2. shivers
3. texas chainsaw massacre
4. phenomena
5. any lars von trier movie

Ah yes..Phenomena...that's a nice pick..I knew there was one that I wanted to include in my earlier post; one that I had seen a few years back and was driving my nuts for not remembering it!

Curious though...why the inclusion of TCM? While it is truly an all-time classic, I don't quite see it as a psycho-mind-mashup. Care to elaborate a bit, there old chap?:confused:

nancylives!
11-18-2010, 07:17 AM
there are few movies that establish such a hot, claustrophobic, dusty, itchy, uncomfortable atmosphere as TCM. even tho much of the horror is direct--dude dressed in people's skins killing people with chainsaws, meathooks, and sledgehammers--the unpleasantness of everything else is so pervasive, yeah TCM completely messes with my mind and sense of well-being.

gellerbing
11-18-2010, 01:56 PM
the ring 1 and 2
the skeleton key
the grudge

Doctor Frankenstein
01-29-2011, 06:10 AM
These are not in any particular order

-Jacobs Ladder

-Black Sawn

-The Machinist

-Perfect Blue