PDA

View Full Version : Specific horror recommendations

Stampy
03-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Could you guys please recommend me couple of horror movies that are mostly oriented on creating the eerie atmosphere. It would be highly appreciated if there were no monsters, zombies or any such visible ghost crap in the movie. Just pure psychological tension which is accomplished by focusing more on sounds, images, and growing nervousness, while avoiding those stupid boo effects, monsters, or transcendentally stupid explanations (some things are better left unexplained). Thank you. :)

joker jr.
03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, I don't know of many movies like that but the computer game, "Scratches" is very eerie in atmosphere. Especially if you use good headphones while playing it. "Manhunt" is also very tense, but it's also quite sadistic, as well as very gory. I would reccomend the original Manhunt over Manhunt 2.

Although, as for movies I suppose 1408 or Silence Of The Lambs.
OH! I know exactly the kind of movie you're describing! The Pit and The Pendulum with Vincent Price is exellent in that manner.
Or, even the new Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp. It is a musical, but in scenes where he's holding his razor firmly and talking to it as well as giving someone a shave.

Double L
03-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Them is a creepy movie (even more so as it is based on a true story). The original Haunting is also good at creating atmosphere with what you don't see. I suppose the original Blair witch fits your description as well.

Bataeu
03-10-2008, 11:23 PM
The film Bug with Toni Collette is an OK movie.

michelle
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I got scared as hell while watching "The Others". I have to admit, I thought it was a vampire flick and was sure the kids were vampires... So it was really shocking.