PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think There Are Too Many Teens In Horror Movies Now?

Truegho
11-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Do you think there are too many teenagers in horror movies now? I certainly do! I am FED UP with seeing the same old sex-mad-beer-swigging-rowdily-behaving teens driving into the woods - only to be bumped off by some Jason Voorhees clone.

These movies were new and different when they first came out in the late 70's/80's, but they have just become boring and somewhat irritating now.

I prefer the Hammer and Amicus movies, as they had the REAL creepy atmosphere, were dead serious, and had some brilliant actors like Cushing and Lee.

Too many horror movies these days don't have the proper, creepy atmosphere, and very samey. In the end, you become jaded to them.

Bring on originality!

Nosferatu
11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
I totally agree with you Truegho!
It's sorry to say but Horror movies are the new trend, they make a lot of money. I give you as a proof all the remake of dear old horror movie that were out this last decade, and the rising of slasher movies (as SAW, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Nu version)...) without ignoring the sequels. This genre is becomming mainstream. We, old school fans, are attached to "vintage aspect" that gives his own charm. We like it when it's look a little fake don't we? The fact is that casting teenager in such films will make more reallistic, attach the story in present ... and win a young audience.

But in an other hand it's soooo good to see these teenager going to slaughter, have their members slashed down, their corpses getting rot, their head falling down the floor... isn't it?

You dare enter the House of Wax ? Take this Paris Hilton!!

joker jr.
11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
agreed. I got bored with Friday The 13th at about part 4, because by then it was the same thing over and over again. at least the first one had a good twist. >_>

by the way, SAW actually wasn't a slasher movie, it was a psychological. a very good one, actually. they hardly showed any death in the movie until the end. SAW II however, was a slasher. and I haven't seen 3 yet.

(possible spoiler warning for below paragraph)

and Paris' death in the new House Of Wax was actually pretty good. Victor threw a pole through a car's windows, right into Paris' forehead, fell down, and the pole slowly slid through her head. very nice to see something like that happen to a bitch like that. :D

Nosferatu
11-27-2007, 02:27 AM
Right Joker Jr.! Maybe we can found an association promoting Paris Hilton's Death?

FrightScares
01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
It gets old, fast.

Truegho
01-24-2008, 03:41 AM
[quote=joker jr.;216282]agreed. I got bored with Friday The 13th at about part 4, because by then it was the same thing over and over again. at least the first one had a good twist. >_>

by the way, SAW actually wasn't a slasher movie, it was a psychological. a very good one, actually. they hardly showed any death in the movie until the end. SAW II however, was a slasher. and I haven't seen 3 yet.

Yes, teen movies do tend to get samey and make you jaded.

I don't think you can beat the old traditional horrors, like Hammer and Universal, both of which had good characters, gripping plots and a real horror atmosphere.

The Webmaster
www.horrorwriters.net (http://www.horrorwriters.net)

Horrorman
01-26-2008, 12:04 PM
The first taste of horror was unleashed on me through the old Hammer movies with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Vincent Price was another must see Horror movie actor. I agree the movies back then were based more on atmosphere and creepy set direction. The trend today is whatever makes a buck do it again. Unfortunately after the 5th or 6th sequel the story becomes very old and tired. I guess after 50 or 60 years of Horror movies it becomes hard to think of a new idea that has not been done before. I basically watch them today for the special effects which I really enjoy. Does anybody remember the special effects artist Ray Harryhausen? He was one of the early developers of the stop motion animation in movies like Jason and the Argonauts. His movies really got me hooked on special effects in both Horror and science-fiction movies. I have been a fan ever since.

Truegho
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
The first taste of horror was unleashed on me through the old Hammer movies with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Vincent Price was another must see Horror movie actor. I agree the movies back then were based more on atmosphere and creepy set direction. The trend today is whatever makes a buck do it again. Unfortunately after the 5th or 6th sequel the story becomes very old and tired. I guess after 50 or 60 years of Horror movies it becomes hard to think of a new idea that has not been done before. I basically watch them today for the special effects which I really enjoy. Does anybody remember the special effects artist Ray Harryhausen? He was one of the early developers of the stop motion animation in movies like Jason and the Argonauts. His movies really got me hooked on special effects in both Horror and science-fiction movies. I have been a fan ever since.

Yes, I too had my first experiences of TV and film horror watching all the great horror actors you mentioned. I don't think anybody has ever surpassed these stars in the horror genre.

Yes, I also agree that Ray Harryhausen and his special effects were good. Jason and The Argonauts is one of my all time fave films.

The Webmaster
www.horrorwriters.net (http://www.horrorwriters.net)

Bataeu
03-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I hate all the bleached blonde Sarah Michelle Gellar type girls in horror films.

The Abandoned if one of the best horror movies to come out recently. The main character is a 40 year old woman- and the atmosphere of the film oozes creepiness.

Hellboy
03-14-2008, 08:36 AM
I agree with Nosferatu, it's just because of the money. The studios know that when they put some stereotypical blond cheerleader into they movie and write a scene where they jump around in bra and panties more people - or let's say young men - will watch the movie.

Red Hot
03-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree with Nosferatu, it's just because of the money. The studios know that when they put some stereotypical blond cheerleader into they movie and write a scene where they jump around in bra and panties more people - or let's say young men - will watch the movie.

I love your opinion on this, Hellboy. It is so darn true!!:D

Hellboy
03-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Thx, Red Hot for appreciating my opinion. Nothing but the truth and just the truth :)

Slasher-Freak97
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
agreed. I got bored with Friday The 13th at about part 4,:D

must say i HATED most of all the dam friday 13 films, But Part 4 was OK, C 7/10, It was pretty boring at the 1st but got good)!

Goat Face
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
must say i HATED most of all the dam friday 13 films, But Part 4 was OK, C 7/10, It was pretty boring at the 1st but got good)! sorry to say this to someone like you slasher face CRAP!, i just heard a gunshot and it scared me!! sorry, i dont like any of the Friday the 13 movies...and the only good slasher movies that come to my mind, that I really enjoy are the night mare on elmstreet,and Hatchet( I highly recommend Hatchet to any Horror or slasher fan!!)

Slasher-Freak97
04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
sorry to say this to someone like you slasher face CRAP!, i just heard a gunshot and it scared me!! sorry, i dont like any of the Friday the 13 movies...and the only good slasher movies that come to my mind, that I really enjoy are the night mare on elmstreet,and Hatchet( I highly recommend Hatchet to any Horror or slasher fan!!)

Nah) i totally agree, most of those friday films are very much trashy, the only ones i liked were Parts 1-3, & Part 4 was Ok, after 4 they got really stupid, I mean come on how in the Hell is Jason gonna appear in space after he was just dug into hell by Freddy (Supposedly) & then return to do battle with Freddy, Stupid pointless crap)!

Slasher-Freak97
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Do you think there are too many teenagers in horror movies now? I certainly do! I am FED UP with seeing the same old sex-mad-beer-swigging-rowdily-behaving teens driving into the woods - only to be bumped off by some Jason Voorhees clone.

These movies were new and different when they first came out in the late 70's/80's, but they have just become boring and somewhat irritating now.

I prefer the Hammer and Amicus movies, as they had the REAL creepy atmosphere, were dead serious, and had some brilliant actors like Cushing and Lee.

Too many horror movies these days don't have the proper, creepy atmosphere, and very samey. In the end, you become jaded to them.

Bring on originality!

& as far as this goes most of the teeny bop, jason clone Flicks are mainly Dvd released, & not theatrical, so it really shouldnt bother you, which is why most of my horror viewing is devoted to the good ole theatrical style horror, Excluding a possible Jeepers Creepers 3, which may not be theatrical & i will still see it

Malachai
04-30-2008, 05:24 PM
A lot of the horror movies these days are garbage. House of Wax, Boogieman (I laughed my ass off at the crow hitting the window) etc. But with the recent popularity of horror some fairly decent movies emerging. Movies like The Descent, The Hills Have Eyes, High Tension, Wolf Creek... You gotta be thankful for that. Unless of course you hate those movies as well.

Slasher-Freak97
04-30-2008, 05:28 PM
:confused:A lot of the horror movies these days are garbage. House of Wax, Boogieman (I laughed my ass off at the crow hitting the window) etc. But with the recent popularity of horror some fairly decent movies emerging. Movies like The Descent, The Hills Have Eyes, High Tension, Wolf Creek... You gotta be thankful for that. Unless of course you hate those movies as well.

Really, You didnt like House of Wax alittle? I mean it wasnt Great, but it was Fun to watch. Grade=C 7/10 At Least:confused::confused:

Malachai
04-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Eh...not really. I guess it might have been fun to watch but I have seen plenty others that were "funner".

E.F. Benson
04-30-2008, 10:03 PM
I think a lot of early horror wasn't marketed exclusively to teens. I believe movies like the early horror silents, Universal Classics , Psycho, The Exorcist, Jaws, these were movies for everybody. Teens and adults. I think where it started to change and remains to this day is the "teen slasher flicks". These movies do seek teenagers as their primary audience, and this trend probably started with "Halloween". Jason and Freddy and all the sequels and any other "teen slasher" flick that will come out primarily will get a teen audience.

Slasher-Freak97
05-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I think a lot of early horror wasn't marketed exclusively to teens. I believe movies like the early horror silents, Universal Classics , Psycho, The Exorcist, Jaws, these were movies for everybody. Teens and adults. I think where it started to change and remains to this day is the "teen slasher flicks". These movies do seek teenagers as their primary audience, and this trend probably started with "Halloween". Jason and Freddy and all the sequels and any other "teen slasher" flick that will come out primarily will get a teen audience.

Well you gotta understand, this IS the best horror, Makes the most money, & Hollywood knows this shi*, so they will continue to do this, then after the success Prom Night will do, you gotta appreciate, at least the GOOD, Teen slasher flicks, come on now shi*

Freddy's Fake Head
05-02-2008, 01:55 AM
agreed. I got bored with Friday The 13th at about part 4, because by then it was the same thing over and over again. at least the first one had a good twist. >_>

Agreed after part 4 the plot goes to pot in the friday films and they had to edit out most of the gore too especially in the later ones with the late 80's gore crackdown. First 4 are really the only good ones though. I liked Jason X too but I think I'm in the minority on that one.